Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C8 wheels/tires stolen

Forum Member

Default C8 wheels/tires stolen

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...wheels-stolen/
    Someone sent us a photo of this C8 Corvette with its wheels and tires stolen.
    The car was parked on the street in Detroit, Michigan, in a neighborhood called the West Village.
    We assume this is a GM-owned car, as the C8 isn't on sale yet at Chevy dealerships.

Looking for a set of Corvette C8 wheels and tires at a steep discount? Check Craigslist in Detroit, because we can verify that there's a set missing from this black 2020 Chevy Corvette C8 that someone spotted on the street in the West Village. The poor mid-engined Corvette is now sitting on cinderblocks with its rear end resting on the ground, so it's likely that the criminals inflicted some damage in the process of swiping the wheels.

Wheel thefts are common enough, especially for high-end vehicles with expensive rims. We had a set of wheels and tires stolen off a Ford Fusion test car in 2014. After all, a set of new Corvette tires—even a set of all-seasons like on this car, which appears to be a non-Z51—costs around $1000 alone, and the wheels are likely worth thousands more on top of that.

Car and Driver
    Oh, and if you're thinking of buying a Corvette C8 yourself, let this be a lesson to opt for the wheel locks that cost $90 from Chevrolet. You can even get black-painted wheel locks for an extra $30 on top of that. Trust us, it's worth it.

Default C8 wheels/tires stolen

Naive question. I don’t get how they do this. Do these guys drive around with a floor jack?

Yup

Rolling around with floor jacks, cordless impacts, EZ out sockets for wheel locks and landscape pavers or whatever else they find cheap so they can get the jack back out from under the car. They obviously don't care about anyone's property so they usually do damage to the underside jacking the car up from where ever the jack lands.

A guy I knew in the UP I met when he was on work release said they used RV scissor jacks and ran them up and down with cordless drills. Way faster than hydraulic and lighter. He said that when they were done they would just push the vehicle over and take the jacks. If the jacks bent bad enough they couldn't fix them then they just got new surplus ones.

If it had wheel locks they had sockets that were modified to be beat on to the locking lugnuts after the collar was broken off. If they were the inverted kind they did the same but the outside would be ground such that it grabbed the same knurls the lock key did.

So they had:
    scissor jack
    Cordless impact
    Cordless drill
    ball peen hammer
    cold chisel
    sockets
    locking lugnut defeaters

5 guys. One in a lookout vehicle. The other four were in a minivan. Said usually it took them less than 5 minutes.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    A guy I knew in the UP I met when he was on work release said they used RV scissor jacks and ran them up and down with cordless drills. Way faster than hydraulic and lighter. He said that when they were done they would just push the vehicle over and take the jacks. If the jacks bent bad enough they couldn't fix them then they just got new surplus ones.

If it had wheel locks they had sockets that were modified to be beat on to the locking lugnuts after the collar was broken off. If they were the inverted kind they did the same but the outside would be ground such that it grabbed the same knurls the lock key did.

So they had:
    scissor jack
    Cordless impact
    Cordless drill
    ball peen hammer
    cold chisel
    sockets
    locking lugnut defeaters

5 guys. One in a lookout vehicle. The other four were in a minivan. Said usually it took them less than 5 minutes.

Sounds like a solid business model

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Are people that stupid to post up wheels for sale for a vehicle that isn't even out yet??

Welcome to Detroit!
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    Naive question. I don’t get how they do this. Do these guys drive around with a floor jack?
    Yeah, when they jacked the wheels off my '08 TBSS they used blocks from my neighbors landscaping they stole to rest the truck on.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Those look like C7 ZR1 wheels

Thread Information