Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel / Tire Skates?

Default Wheel / Tire Skates?

I'm going to get the '55 home to get started on it in the near future, the tired are flat and I assume the wheel bearings are seized. Anyone have any experience using wheel/tire skates and if so which ones work well? I need to be able to move it around the garage / drive way.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

are the driveway and garage good, smooth, crack free concrete?
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    are the driveway and garage good, smooth, crack free concrete?
    Garage yes, drive way not so much.

Until I get it rolling freely, Im thinking its going to be best to keep it around the garage.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Whatever you get, don't go cheap. My buddy gave me some cheap ones that I put my 81 TTA on, and I have to manually rotate the castors before I push it. I looked online and I think they are similar to the Black Bull brand rated at 1000 lbs.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Club Member

I got the nicer ones from harbor freight with the foot pump and they're awesome! If you want to try them let me know, I've got them under the parts car right now with flat tires. I also used them to get the parts car on and off the trailer since one wheel was seized so they've taken some abuse. They're a million times better than the old style with the cast wheels.

Edit: They're kind of a PITA on the Galaxie though since it's so low. It'd be a bit nicer if the foot pedal was bent out a bit more.
    -Jerry
    http://garage.twelve22.net/
    85 Monte/83 Monte (Parts)

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ies-67338.html

These are terrible, One of them collapsed while moving my c10. Very difficult to move a mustang around on them

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...-pc-61283.html

I have 4 of these. They work nice but you have to use a jack to get the tire in the dolly. The caster on one blew some ball bearings out because I go caught in a crack and tried to muscle it out. (my own fault)

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...-pc-61283.html

I have 4 of these. They work nice but you have to use a jack to get the tire in the dolly. The caster on one blew some ball bearings out because I go caught in a crack and tried to muscle it out. (my own fault)
    I have those too, but with the steel casters. I got annoyed with the dollies shifting and casters refusing to swivel at the worst moments. They're tolerable but if you're shuffling the car often, unassisted, and or on textured surfaces, you might want to reconsider the pump style. Since buying the hydraulic style, these have been great for storing/moving engines, trans, etc.

The employer has a set of Pittsburgh dollies that 'Shadow...' posted. I borrowed them and then picked up a set of the Eastwood variety (no storage cart, though) on sale.
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hy...rage-rack.html They're likely produced in the same Chinese sweatshop, but Eastwood set was better built than the HF set. The casters rolled easier over my garage floor and driveway. The safety chain was more reliable than the HF hook. The Eastwood pump felt more firm, too. Both sets were barely adequate for holding inflated 29x10.50 slicks- the pedal would scrub against the sidewall.

Bendpak are SUPER NICE...... but $300 Each. Id love if someone knew a similar dolly that wasnt that pricey.

Thread Information