Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New air compressor selection

Forum Member

Default New air compressor selection

My ~12 year old Craftsman 33 gallon compressor crapped out this fall - something's up with the motor and it just not worth me dinking around with it. It'll work well intermittently, and then at times will fire up for 1-3 seconds and shut right down. Try that a couple of times, and then it doesn't do anything at all for a while. I took off the shroud and noticed quite a bit of sparking from the brushes/armature area.

Looking to get a larger one, 60 gallon seems about right for me. I am sure I don't have nearly as heavy usage as a lot of you, but I do all the work on my vehicles, so I am running impacts, cutoff wheels, etc. I wouldn't mind having a smaller sandblast cabinet at some point, but it wouldn't be heavily used.

I've seen 2 in the $500-$600 price range that piqued my interest, but wanted to see which you all thought would be the better buy. What's really attractive to me here is either should last "forever" - if a motor burns up, I can replace just that. If the pump craps out, I can replace just that. No more of the integrated pump/motor setups for me. Also, my plan (unless there's a reason not to) would be to plumb in my 33 gallon tank, which is in perfect shape, as extra capacity if I need it. I can easily toss it up in the attic and it'd be completely out of the way. Would add a valve to close it off when not needed.

Option 1 - Kobalt XC602000. 175 psi, 3.7hp dual stage 60 gallon. 11.0 CFM @ 90 PSI. 11 CFM @ 90PSI, 10.8 CFM @ 100PSI, 10.7 CFM @ 175psi

Option 2 - Dewalt DXCM601 155 psi 3.7 hp single stage 60 gallon. 13.4 CFM @ 40 PSI and 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI.

I understand the single vs dual stage....is the extra 20 PSI that much of a difference that the Kobalt is the winner? Anyone have any experience with either, or an alternate recommendation? Both have some glowing reviews and some very negative reviews - are these halfway decent compressors?

Forum Member

FWIW, too, budget is a consideration. I'd like to keep it in this range. If need be, I can watch for a good used compressor for sale locally if these are both junk.

either of those should do you fine, air hungry tools may require you to stop and let pressure build back up, but you don't sound like you have any of those types of tools
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    either of those should do you fine, air hungry tools may require you to stop and let pressure build back up, but you don't sound like you have any of those types of tools
    Thanks, Dave - I was making due with my 33 gallon, although I was running it heavily at times for it to keep up. I am thinking the 60 would be a huge improvement, plus, in my mind the 33 gallon "surge" tank could also help in those instances. Maybe I am not thinking about that correctly though, I haven't really researched that much.

I have a Husky compressor that's 15 years old. It's a 60 gal that replaced an oilless Craftsman 25 gal. The 60 will handle all air tool needs but of you're running a DA sander or cutoff wheel for a long time (like 10 min) it'll take a bit to catch up. I think the Kobalts are made by Campbell and Husky is IR.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I have a Husky compressor that's 15 years old. It's a 60 gal that replaced an oilless Craftsman 25 gal. The 60 will handle all air tool needs but of you're running a DA sander or cutoff wheel for a long time (like 10 min) it'll take a bit to catch up. I think the Kobalts are made by Campbell and Husky is IR.
    Was the 60 gallon a big improvement over the oilless 25? It'd be a very similar jump for me - oilless 33 gal to oiled 60.

The 33 could get a little frustrating at times with the cutoff wheel, but I made do with it. I'd hope the 60 would be a big improvement, but I realize it wouldn't be an endless supply of air.

I have a 60 campbell hausfield in the garage that works very well. The higher air consumption tools you just have to know that your going to listen to the compressor while your working. I had considered an 80 when I bought it as i was painting a lot but size was an issue in the garage. I can paint fine with the 60 you just need pull moisture out since it runs a bit more while you working. Check tractor supply, they are usually one of the most inexpensive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe87 View Post
    I have a 60 campbell hausfield in the garage that works very well. The higher air consumption tools you just have to know that your going to listen to the compressor while your working. I had considered an 80 when I bought it as i was painting a lot but size was an issue in the garage. I can paint fine with the 60 you just need pull moisture out since it runs a bit more while you working. Check tractor supply, they are usually one of the most inexpensive.
    Thanks man - yeah, TC is where the Dewalt is. $520 for the 60 gallon, plus all of the additional things needed (wiring, regulator, etc).

Sounds like either of these is a decent option. Is there any reason that the $50-$60 premium for the two stage Kobalt would be better than the single stage Dewalt? Seems like they are very comparable other than the Kobalt is 175 psi with the dual stage, the Dewalt is 155 psi with the single stage.

If you go with the Kobalt one Lowe's has a 10% discount for past military. I was not in the military so I always take my Dad when I make a bigger purchase there. I have also used these coupons in the past.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2X-Lowe...UAAOSwYjReSXh3

Forum Member

Oh, good to know - my father is a veteran, so I am sure he'd make the purchase for me.

Thread Information