Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: National Emergency - coronavirus

I don’t think they closed Algonac from the boaters. Just about all are checking for same household boaters tho. The fish are biting like crazy. Buy the boat I posted and go catch some
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Exclamation More People Died Of Suicide Last Week In Tennessee Than COVID-19

As we previously warned, this pandemic will bankrupt and kill more people from suicide than the virus will.
    When you sacrifice people’s livelihoods, you create a difficult situation of desperation for many who
    will see no other way out.

“Thus far, our reaction to COVID-19 has been to sacrifice the global economy,” said Jacobs.

“The truth is: a sick economy produces sick people.”

Most people don’t want to hear the truth, unfortunately, and the longer state governments insist on businesses being closed and an
    economy shut down to combat what’s looking like a fairly insignificant virus for most of the population, the aftermath will worsen.
    Each day that drags on will make the next few years more difficult.

“Last year, our medical examiner performed autopsies for 199 confirmed or suspected suicides from across the region,
    with 83 of those coming from Knox County. Over the past 48 hours, that office has now examined nine suspected suicides,
    eight of which are from Knox County alone.
    For Knox County, that’s almost ten percent of last year’s total number in the
    past two days alone,” Jacobs added.

We’ve said it before and it needs to be said again, we should no longer be preparing for a pandemic, but social unrest, violence,
    and economic depression. The longer the economy is shut down, the more horrific the future social unrest will be. Jacobs is
    questioning the tyrannical measures and authoritarian power grabs by politicians.

Jacobs called the suicide numbers “utterly shocking” and said he is questioning if the government is taking the right approach
    in responding to COVID-19. “Is what we are doing now really the best approach? How can we respond to COVID-19 in a way
    that keeps our economy intact, keeps people employed, and empowers our people with a feeling of hope and optimism,
    not desperation and despair?” he said.

“That’s startling and disturbing and really, really challenging to think about how some of the things we have to do
    as a community right now could be contributing to these things,” she said.

“The more important message today that I want to deliver is that now more than ever we need to be kinder and
    gentler with ourselves and with each other. If there’s anybody out there who’s struggling, I encourage you to reach out.”

We want to thank Jacobs for standing up against all the other tyrants out there using this virus as an excuse to commit
    economic suicide and impoverish millions of people. Now let’s face reality: it’s time to reopen the economy and salvage
    what’s left if we can. The longer this drags on, the direr our situation becomes.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/mor...essee-covid-19

Yea, it is pretty obvious that all these gloom and doom projections were wrong. The hospitals in Michigan are busy but not full, and nobody has died for lack of care. Nobody should be working without protective gear - because according to the state we have plenty. Nobody is out of ventilators or ICU beds. I mean, it is serious, but nothing out of the normal band of serious that we aren't set up as a country to handle.

This just highlights how dangerous the news media is. In their efforts to undermine Trump they have literally set of a panic of epic proportions. It has been a nice relaxing month working from home, but I am ready to go back to work, and I am sure everyone else is too. Let's use distancing, masks, and hand sanitizer with a smart plan, and get back to normal life.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Yea, it is pretty obvious that all these gloom and doom projections were wrong. The hospitals in Michigan are busy but not full, and nobody has died for lack of care. Nobody should be working without protective gear - because according to the state we have plenty. Nobody is out of ventilators or ICU beds. I mean, it is serious, but nothing out of the normal band of serious that we aren't set up as a country to handle.

This just highlights how dangerous the news media is. In their efforts to undermine Trump they have literally set of a panic of epic proportions. It has been a nice relaxing month working from home, but I am ready to go back to work, and I am sure everyone else is too. Let's use distancing, masks, and hand sanitizer with a smart plan, and get back to normal life.

-Geoff

Amen!

Forum Member

Playing Devil's advocate here....what would our current situation look like if nothing were shut down? Is it possible that the painful actions being taken to "flatten the curve" actually reduced the death toll?

Not everything in life is politically motivated. Pretty sure the entire globe didn't conspire to shut down economies just to undermine the oompa loompa at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Everything has to be so damn black and white all the time - in reality there are much higher volumes of multiple shades of grey.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    As we previously warned, this pandemic will bankrupt and kill more people from suicide than the virus will.
    When you sacrifice people’s livelihoods, you create a difficult situation of desperation for many who
    will see no other way out.

“Thus far, our reaction to COVID-19 has been to sacrifice the global economy,” said Jacobs.

“The truth is: a sick economy produces sick people.”

Most people don’t want to hear the truth, unfortunately, and the longer state governments insist on businesses being closed and an
    economy shut down to combat what’s looking like a fairly insignificant virus for most of the population, the aftermath will worsen.
    Each day that drags on will make the next few years more difficult.

“Last year, our medical examiner performed autopsies for 199 confirmed or suspected suicides from across the region,
    with 83 of those coming from Knox County. Over the past 48 hours, that office has now examined nine suspected suicides,
    eight of which are from Knox County alone.
    For Knox County, that’s almost ten percent of last year’s total number in the
    past two days alone,” Jacobs added.

We’ve said it before and it needs to be said again, we should no longer be preparing for a pandemic, but social unrest, violence,
    and economic depression. The longer the economy is shut down, the more horrific the future social unrest will be. Jacobs is
    questioning the tyrannical measures and authoritarian power grabs by politicians.

Jacobs called the suicide numbers “utterly shocking” and said he is questioning if the government is taking the right approach
    in responding to COVID-19. “Is what we are doing now really the best approach? How can we respond to COVID-19 in a way
    that keeps our economy intact, keeps people employed, and empowers our people with a feeling of hope and optimism,
    not desperation and despair?” he said.

“That’s startling and disturbing and really, really challenging to think about how some of the things we have to do
    as a community right now could be contributing to these things,” she said.

“The more important message today that I want to deliver is that now more than ever we need to be kinder and
    gentler with ourselves and with each other. If there’s anybody out there who’s struggling, I encourage you to reach out.”

We want to thank Jacobs for standing up against all the other tyrants out there using this virus as an excuse to commit
    economic suicide and impoverish millions of people. Now let’s face reality: it’s time to reopen the economy and salvage
    what’s left if we can. The longer this drags on, the direr our situation becomes.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/mor...essee-covid-19
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post

-Geoff
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate here....what would our current situation look like if nothing were shut down? Is it possible that the painful actions being taken to "flatten the curve" actually reduced the death toll?

Not everything in life is politically motivated. Pretty sure the entire globe didn't conspire to shut down economies just to undermine the oompa loompa at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Everything has to be so damn black and white all the time - in reality there are much higher volumes of multiple shades of grey.
    I think the original stay-at-home order was the right thing to do. There were a ton of unknowns, and a lot of people were going to the hospital. I said this at the beginning - how do you do a lockdown with no plan to get out of it? That is where we are at today. What is Whitmers plan? She references data that we don't have access to (U of M models - show us the data!) and she has made this into politics from the beginning. We can't trust her to do right by the people of Michigan anymore. She is running for Joe's Veep slot right now at our expense.

It will be a month next week, with a disease that takes two weeks max to show symptoms. So that means for the next week, anyone showing new symptoms will have picked up the virus after the lockdown. We very well could be at a steady state of spread right now, that no lockdown is going to stop. The governor needs to allow businesses to develop plans to get open. And as a society, we just have to be smart about using masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer. Why can't a car dealership be open? Why can't a golf course be open? I think it is too early to open bars and restaurants, but service and retail should be good to go. We just need to be smart now. Keeping everyone at home is not smart, it is politics, and it needs to stop.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 04-08-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Forum Member

I see politics on both sides. Whitmer is an asshole. Trump is an asshole. Assholes are abundant all around. They are all playing the "in the interest of the good" card when their self-interests drive the majority of their decisions.

I do totally agree with your point - nobody has looked at how to emerge and what makes sense. While we may not agree with all decisions, it'd be nice to have some definitive ones to refer to. Everything is vague and general, which is driving a lot of our problems IMO.

We've effectively shut down for a month - look at New Zealand and they way they responded. Instead of this phased approach, etc, they literally locked the country down in 48 hours, for a period of 4 weeks, and are experiencing far less of an impact as a result. If they are smart, they'll be able to reopen and have little-to-no recurring impact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    I see politics on both sides. Whitmer is an asshole. Trump is an asshole. Assholes are abundant all around. They are all playing the "in the interest of the good" card when their self-interests drive the majority of their decisions.
    It's in President Trump's self-interest to shut down a roaring economy before an election??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paul09 View Post
    It's in President Trump's self-interest to shut down a roaring economy before an election??
    It's in Trump's best interest to put his person spinal on everything, omit facts, create false narratives, and claim victory for items in which there was no victory or where he played no part in it.

That being said, same for Whitmer.

Thread Information