Thread: Support Local Restaurants and Markets - A Thread

Default Support Local Restaurants and Markets - A Thread

EAST SIDE

I figure it wouldn't hurt to put up a thread of good places to get food. Not raw materials so much like Kroger or Meijers, but a place to go and pick up dinner. Put the location at the top for quick scanning. My pick:

Marais Market on Kercheval in downtown Grosse Pointe

The guy who runs this place is a gourmet chef, and for those who know food stuff, he used to work at the French Laundry in Napa Valley under Thomas Keller. I don't think there is a better Chef who is still actually cooking this week in the whole metro area, In fact, he was nominated for a James Beard award in 2012 - that is pretty much the highest honor in chef-ing short of actually winning it, which is literally the highest honor.

He stocks a modest meat case, usually has fresh soup, does custom pizza's and awesome sandwiches, has some prepared food in the case that you can heat and serve, plus a full wine selection and some beers. The stuff is a little pricier, but $10 for one of his sammiches is a deal in my book - he bakes the fricking bread himself! He makes an authentic Cuban too - if you have never had one from Miami his is that good. A quart of his soup is $12 or $13 and every single one is amazing (try the tomato though, even more amazing) - me and my wife split one and that is a small meal.

Anyways, interested to see some other places. I am trying to eat out and support local as much as possible to preserve my personal food stash...

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 03-21-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Default Support Local Restaurants and Markets - A Thread

My favorite Lebanese food is at Cedar kabob on Van Dyke and 15 mile. Went there last night for take out. Good family owned place that I’ve been going to for at least last 10 years. Always super friendly and the food is excellent at a very reasonable price. And he’s not stingy with the meat on the entrees like some other places in the area. We’ve gotten catering for several family functions Over the years and he always ends up making more food than what you pay for.

I’ll be hitting them up a couple times a week Over the next two weeks cause if they close I may never eat Lebanese again.

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    My favorite Lebanese food is at Cedar kabob on Van Dyke and 15 mile. Went there last night for take out. Good family owned place that I’ve been going to for at least last 10 years. Always super friendly and the food is excellent at a very reasonable price. And he’s not stingy with the meat on the entrees like some other places in the area. We’ve gotten catering for several family functions Over the years and he always ends up making more food than what you pay for.

I’ll be hitting them up a couple times a week Over the next two weeks cause if they close I may never eat Lebanese again.
    I miss that place for sure I use to work off mound and we would go there once a week at least...
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

The problem I got with carry out food is how do we know the cook or the people handling the food are not sick with the virus?
    Unless the people are wearing gloves and face masks, it is an airborne virus right?
    SAL

Quote Originally Posted by Wizeguy View Post
    The problem I got with carry out food is how do we know the cook or the people handling the food are not sick with the virus?
    Unless the people are wearing gloves and face masks, it is an airborne virus right?
    That is what I was hoping to get when I started this thread - places you trust. That place I put - Marais - I know the chef personally and he is also the owner. I have been eating there 3 times a week the last couple weeks. You will never want another Tomato soup again if you go there. You will be ruined on it. He is out now, restocking Thursday.

He started doing box meals for $18.99 - tonight was Chicken Parm, Orecchiette pasta w/tomato parm & spinach, ceaser salad, and tiramisu.

-Geoff

seeburgers cheeseburgers on gratiot in roseville and the one on 23 mile in chesterfeild MI.
    Todd and his wife are great people lets support everyone we can during these times
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

absolutely. If you have the means to spend a little extra, help out your local neighborhood business.

Mabel Gray in Hazel park just started doing curbside takeout. Probably one of the best restaurants in Michigan and arguable the midwest slash country. The owner/chef was on Top Chef a few years back and was doing well until he fed Norm from Cheers a vegetable Fritto Misto (an Italian fried veggie appetizer) and fell out of favor - I guess he never saw Norm eating at the Hungry Heffer on cheers! I can vouch, his food is amazing. Looks like you email them your order, then the call you back and charge it. You pull up, and they run it out to your car. I will probably give it a try next week. Menu posted on their finsta feed and changes daily.

https://www.instagram.com/mabelgraykitchen/

-Geoff

The Villa on Gratiot South of 9 mi. Awesome place. Family owned, and always rated one of the cleanest restaurants in the area. Sicilian steak is awesome! Crazy Gringo on Gratiot at 15mi very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

In West Dearborn...

Andiamo Dearborn set us up curbside with a shrimp fettuccine alfredo and chicken marsala dinners. Soup and salad and a big baguette for about $32. Pretty good.

Sahara has set us up for big tin pans of Mediterranean food. We specifically get the "Mixed Grill" for $19. Its a TRAY of beef/chicken kabobs/kafta/rice/vegetables...
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thread Information