Thread: Cannonball Run - Now sub 26 hours!

Default Cannonball Run - Now sub 26 hours!

So with everyone on shut down several people have broken the cannonball run records. I guess there is two or three guys that have 25 hour runs now. That is an average of about 110mph across country ~2850 miles. I can't wait to see what cars everyone used, the guys that ran 26.5hrs were in a basically stock Audi with marine tanks strapped in the trunk. Its really cool to see the way guys plan and set their cars up for these trips.

https://youtu.be/r-bhmioV5NQ

Ed was pretty sly with some of the things he said there. I got a tip from a spotter for the new record setter. The car was another Audi and the new record holder is someone who had done it before as Ed strongly implied. The record setter has basically got himself hooked into what I'll call the 1320video network for spotters. Basically gets him through the whole middle part of the country with spotters all along I-80 and then into Colorado. The 120+ average state was Nebraska.
    Last edited by 4 cam tbird; 05-27-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 4 cam tbird View Post
    Ed was pretty sly with some of the things he said there. I got a tip from a spotter for the new record setter. The car was another Audi and the new record holder is someone who had done it before as Ed strongly implied. The record setter has basically got himself hooked into what I'll call the 1320video network for spotters. Basically gets him through the whole middle part of the country with spotters all along I-80 and then into Colorado. The 120+ average state was Nebraska.
    Brad ... you had your chance... the V wagon would have done this with ease ... You Know Holly would ride shotgun...and easily could have gotten 2 more people to share the fuel expense
    Grandma & Grandpa would have watched the future racer
    Driven Crazy

These guys are taking nondescript big sedans and masking them to make them even more nondescript looking. CTS-V wagon is going to stand out no matter what you do. Silver, white, or black sedan goes over the scanner as speeding, man, those are plentiful. A black station wagon? You're on your own. Plus the lack of separation from the fuel cell you put in the back is a bad thing with a wagon too.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

I drove out to Colorado last summer in the Camaro and had to tell my wife that she didn't need to speed up to 100 to pass people even with the cruise control locked on 85. That road is wide open for miles and miles.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

There was a good documentary about the cannonball run a few months ago that I caught on TV. I couldn't tell you what channel and it also had a very vague name. It definitely wasn't called Cannonball Run Documentary. It had a lot of old footage and then towards the end talked about newer technology. Crazy.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    There was a good documentary about the cannonball run a few months ago that I caught on TV. I couldn't tell you what channel and it also had a very vague name. It definitely wasn't called Cannonball Run Documentary. It had a lot of old footage and then towards the end talked about newer technology. Crazy.
    Probably

Apex; The Secret Race Across America
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Thread Information