Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS valve spring compressor and harmonic balancer puller

Club Member

Default LS valve spring compressor and harmonic balancer puller

Any west side folks have an LS valve spring compressor and/or harmonic balancer puller they would be willing to loan me? Was going to throw a cam and springs in an LS engine this weekend but while I can get a loaner puller from the auto parts stores, I don't think I can get the spring compressor from them.
    Scott

I don’t have a puller but I do have a balancer installation tool you can use. I rigged up a three jaw puller to remove it but it broke at the end.

They have both at any auto part store for rent

I have a Vinci/crane spring tool someplace you could borrow
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Club Member

I can't get the stupid crank bolt out! Suggestions? Been hitting it with two different pneumatic impact wrenches at 100 psi and I can't seem to break it free. Even heated it with a torch. I just don't seem to have good luck with this stuff. Any suggestions? I'm going to buy an new 24mm impact socket cause the one I have is old and slopped out and I am afraid I am going to round the head out because that is my luck. Once I get that I am going to try again at 120 psi. I thought maybe breaker bar and pipe but it seems like everybody that tries that just winds up breaking their tools.
    Scott

Club Member

BTW - thanks for the suggestions and offers. I have only checked the auto part store websites. I will call them once I have this stupid crank bolt out. If I can get everything from them as a loaner I will just use theirs so I don't have to worry about breaking any of you guys tools. As mentioned in my last post, my luck isn't the greatest!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 2QuickZ's View Post
    BTW - thanks for the suggestions and offers. I have only checked the auto part store websites. I will call them once I have this stupid crank bolt out. If I can get everything from them as a loaner I will just use theirs so I don't have to worry about breaking any of you guys tools. As mentioned in my last post, my luck isn't the greatest!
    I have one of these spring compressors if the autopart store doesn't come through.

Also I had to put an extension on the breaker bar to get the pulley bolt out. I think they can be 350-500nm when removing.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultradriver10000 View Post
    I have one of these spring compressors if the autopart store doesn't come through.

Also I had to put an extension on the breaker bar to get the pulley bolt out. I think they can be 350-500nm when removing.
    I was going to buy that exact style but Texas Speed, BTR and everybody else seems to be out. Can get them off of Amazon but they ship directly from China and I didn't think about it early enough to be able to wait 4 weeks for it to arrive.

I finally got the crank bolt off today. New socket, no extension and 120 PSI and it finally came out after a couple of minutes. The heat cycling yesterday probably helped as well since it was able to completely cool off last night.

Now that I got that bolt out, I will contact the auto parts stores to see what they have for loaners. If I can't find what I need, I'll let you guys know. I appreciate all the offers!
    Scott

Club Member

For future reference, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Napa and Advance Auto do NOT have the right loaner harmonic balancer puller. It has the correct jaws but only has the short and medium length rods, not the long rod. Tried substituting as stock push rod as it was the perfect length but lets just say it was not up to the challenge. Finally got it off using the Advance Auto puller and a little rigging to use the end of the crank instead of the blind hole in the crank.

Now I'm on to the springs. No spring compressor at Advance. I'll be checking the other stores tomorrow. If I none of them have what I am looking for, I will be bugging one of you guys that have so graciously offered to loan me yours.
    Scott

Do you have the air fitting also? I did find my spring tool
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Thread Information