Thread: Job Question at Jefferson North?

Default Job Question at Jefferson North?

Asking for a friend! NOT FOR ME!

I figured that somebody here might work there or know someone who works there that could answer this. Is it normal that the manufacturing/process/tooling engineer jobs there are hourly rate union jobs? Friend just had a phone interview for the new plant off Mack and that is how it was described. I know of a very small amount of UAW designers at GM, but have never heard of UAW hourly engineers before. Seems like a pretty good deal since they can't screw you on overtime, which I am sure you get a ton of working in the assembly plant.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I can’t speak for jnap but Toledo does have them. The one in my department is basically my boss’s secretary lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Asking for a friend! NOT FOR ME!

I figured that somebody here might work there or know someone who works there that could answer this. Is it normal that the manufacturing/process/tooling engineer jobs there are hourly rate union jobs? Friend just had a phone interview for the new plant off Mack and that is how it was described. I know of a very small amount of UAW designers at GM, but have never heard of UAW hourly engineers before. Seems like a pretty good deal since they can't screw you on overtime, which I am sure you get a ton of working in the assembly plant.

Thank you.

-Geoff

For the future, you can be salaried with OT. Its called exempt vs non-exempt. That way you cant get screwed on OT or expected to do "casual OT" or take "comp time"

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    For the future, you can be salaried with OT. Its called exempt vs non-exempt. That way you cant get screwed on OT or expected to do "casual OT" or take "comp time"
    I know that difference - most designers are non-exempt while engineers are exempt. I was mostly surprised they were union, and I am assuming UAW too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Federal guidelines also play into this. If the job role doesn't have a certain level of autonomy than it's an hourly job. Many companies play it safe to avoid lawsuits and make roles that should be salaried based on federal guidelines be hourly. The requirements for salaried vs hourly are an income requirement ($23,660/yr) and an ability to essentially think for themselves at work (minimum 50% of time spent making independent decisions). Outside of federal guidelines, an hourly employee is more susceptible to having hours cut during slow business. Not sure if the contract would allow that so it may not apply in this situation.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Thread Information