Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home electrical issue

Forum Member

Default Home electrical issue

For the past month or so my house has has a weird issue I cant figure out. The back half of my house and garage ( detached garage) will have a cut in power down to like 50ish %, not all the time but a few times a week. I've reset all my breakers thinking maybe 1 was partial tripped or something and that didnt do anything.

Any ideas ? Dont want to call an electrician, I'm positive I can fix it myself if I'm pointed in the right direction.

Do you have interruptible service? To much usage in the area and dte will dim it down. If not I would make sure all connections are tight in the meter and fuse box( make sure the meter is removed and properly insulated tools are used.

Also make sure service wires out side are not rubbing against a tree and arching out.

Forum Member

Not sure about the interrupted service, I'm in Dearborn if that helps... I've got a big tree in my back yard but it's not on any of the wires.

Forum Member

It could be the rolling brown out as mentioned, if they're doing that and you're signed up for it.

If not, to me it sounds like something might be a loose or weak connection making that happen.

What do you mean by cut down in power like 50% ish? Do you mean voltage is dropping down to 60 volts? Or do you mean half the house looses all power?

First thing I would do is figure out what circuits are having the issue. Once you have done that determine if they are all on the same side (left row vs right row) of your load center (Breaker Panel). Once you get that info We can give you more advice.

you're browning out ,,...call Edison
    Driven Crazy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel1719 View Post
    What do you mean by cut down in power like 50% ish? Do you mean voltage is dropping down to 60 volts? Or do you mean half the house looses all power?

First thing I would do is figure out what circuits are having the issue. Once you have done that determine if they are all on the same side (left row vs right row) of your load center (Breaker Panel). Once you get that info We can give you more advice.
    Half the house gets cut down to 50% power while the other half is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel1719 View Post
    Check to see if the brownout half is on one column of breakers in your box. That would be my guess too. I would get an actual electrician to tear up your box, though, if it is just one column.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 07-19-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Forum Member

Call DTE. Sounds like one of the 2 hot legs coming into the house is having problems. Possibly a bad transformer on the pole.

Thread Information