Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total loss title back on the road?

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Default Total loss title back on the road?

Who’s gone through this process. Last year my Tacoma was declared a total loss. I opted to keep the truck in exchange for a slightly lower settlement. Insurance sent me a check and that was that.

Now, I’m looking to sell the truck and can’t until I take some steps?

As I understand it, Insurance needs to send me a salvage title... which still cannot be put on the road. I then need to have the truck inspected by MSP and a certified mechanic, they sign off on it and I get a rebuilt title which will then mean I can sell it?

1. Is my understanding of the process correct?

2. Damage was entirely cosmetic. There is a dent in the rear cab corner which leaves a bit of a gap at the lower door corner as shown in the pic. The door was replaced.

The truck runs, drives, shifts, stops and steers as it should. Will the cosmetic issues cause it to fail a mechanic and MSP inspection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Forum Member

I bought a vehicle with a salvage title about 10 years ago so I believe you can still sell it with a salvage title.

The process I went through was to contact the Sec of State and they gave me the names and contact info for state certified inspectors. I contacted one and we met (at a towing company garage, wanted to put it on a hoist) where he inspected the repairs. I needed to provide receipts for all parts replaced including the vin numbers if the parts came off other existing vehicles. He did a complete safety inspections, lights, signals, seat belts ..... He signed off on it and I went the the Sec State and applied for a rebuilt title, kind of same process and transferring a title.

Good luck.

Question

What happened to your original truck title you had before the accident?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    What happened to your original truck title you had before the accident?
    I have it in my safe.

1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

I’m just kinda bummed. After the accident, I got paid by insurance and “bought the truck back” for about $2000. It was totally fine other than the damage to the cab corner and driver’s bedside (a large wrinkle), nothing more... I then spent about $4000 in aftermarket goodies (lift kit, rock sliders, winch, armor, bumper, etc) and she’s sitting pretty other than a little bruise or two... and now, I don’t know what to do? People are offering me $1500 for what would be a $9000 truck except for 2 dents. About to part out a perfectly good truck because of the title situation.

If you still have your title and it was never sent out to be branded you still have a clear title. Your truck was likely old enough that you did not fit the requirement for salvage titling. Things work a bit different with owner retained salvage than when they are taken to auction by the ins co.

My Grand Prix was a total loss but same you, no frame or structural damage. My adjuster said I didn't need a salvage title, that I just keep the green title for it

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Forum Member

Yeah, same here - my '03 Yukon was salvaged and I bought it back. Still have the original green title....insurer had me send it in, so I was thinking I was getting a salvage title, only to have them mail the same title back to me and tell me it was an error to request it, since I retained ownership.

You probably still have a clear title. If the insurance company wanted to mark it salvaged, they would make you send the original title in and they'd send you a salvage title.

A lot of times on older cars that aren't worth a ton, they won't bother making you send the title in. It should still show up on a carfax though.

My Yukon was totaled when I hit a deer, I kept it and was never asked to send in the title, when I traded it in the dealership said it was a salvage title. They still have me 4K for it lol.

Thread Information