Thread: Laptop vs Tablet help

Default Laptop vs Tablet help

Hi all,

I need some input while I am looking to buy my daughter a new device. She is a senior in HS and really loves to draw and do electronic type art and is currently using a PC with a drawing pad. I would like to buy her something more portable and useable as I would expect she heads off to college next year and continues.

I have been looking at a Surface Pro and a Pixel slate, but this is really out of my knowledge of things. Are there any others to consider? Do you have any preferences on this kind of things?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

if she is only using it for art and basic stuff, a tablet or 2in1 will be the most likely item. Whether it is a PC, Surface, Pixel, or Apple should really depend on the software and which device works best for what she does.

You can always look up the software she will be using to see what the requirements are or if they have preferred hardware types.

Quote Originally Posted by furian76 View Post
    if she is only using it for art and basic stuff, a tablet or 2in1 will be the most likely item. Whether it is a PC, Surface, Pixel, or Apple should really depend on the software and which device works best for what she does.

You can always look up the software she will be using to see what the requirements are or if they have preferred hardware types.

Great info, thanks. I know it seems basic, but I really don't keep up on electronic tech too much because it changes so fast.

You can get a touchscreen laptop too. There are a lot of those around nowadays.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    You can get a touchscreen laptop too. There are a lot of those around nowadays.

-Geoff
    Touchscreen is great!

A large majority of your 2 in 1's will be touch screen. Touch screens would allow artistic manipulation right on the screen. But, whats cool and functional for average use may or may not be functional for a dedicated purpose, especially art.

Here is a good video to watch. It may give you some ideas on where you want to be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RmGV5wALG0

Thread Information