Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing electric panel in basement?

I’m curious what you need jumper bars for? If your doing it with no power on, remove the meter, do it then reinstall the meter.

Forum Member

Just going off of my past experience

You already have a modern zigbee meter, no? You're not going polyphase, correct? If so, they don't care. There will be an exception thrown that the meter was interrupted for power. If it's off for a whole day someone might look into it. But I doubt it, because if it's out for a few days if it's important the customer will call. Otherwise it's a meter issue and eventually they'll roll a truck and swap the meter.

Modern meters (what you have) are really difficult to tamper with. You can do it through the optical port or over the air, but it will still flag that someone's been messing with it. The tamper tag is largely ignored. All it does is remind the technician to pay attention for shenanigans.

How long ago was it you used the jumpers? Pretty much no one uses them anymore for risk of arc flash.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    You already have a modern zigbee meter, no? You're not going polyphase, correct? If so, they don't care. There will be an exception thrown that the meter was interrupted for power. If it's off for a whole day someone might look into it. But I doubt it, because if it's out for a few days if it's important the customer will call. Otherwise it's a meter issue and eventually they'll roll a truck and swap the meter.

Modern meters (what you have) are really difficult to tamper with. You can do it through the optical port or over the air, but it will still flag that someone's been messing with it. The tamper tag is largely ignored. All it does is remind the technician to pay attention for shenanigans.

How long ago was it you used the jumpers? Pretty much no one uses them anymore for risk of arc flash.
    I'm not even sure if it a smart meter, it is digital readout and not the spinning wheels though.

I am not sure of how long ago, but sometime between say 2005 and 2010 I did the last house.

By now if you didn't have a smart meter they'd be charging you for it because you opted out... or you're somewhere super rural.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    By now if you didn't have a smart meter they'd be charging you for it because you opted out... or you're somewhere super rural.
    I'll check it out and see.
    Thanks for all the info...
    Now I just gotta get it done!

I wouldn’t recommend trying any of those ideas in Consumers territory. They can and have successfully prosecuted people for theft of energy by removing the meter carrying a $5,000 fine. The meters there generate their own work orders after 15 minutes of loss of power.

Thread Information