Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing electric panel in basement?

Forum Member

Default Replacing electric panel in basement?

I’m curious if anyone can shed some light here.
    My plan is to update my electrical panel in the basement with a new/breaker panel to replace the old fuse panel.
    I did this before at my old house, when I needed to do, I called DTE and they came and removed my actual meter and put copper bars in. I removed the bars, hooked up new panel, then put the bars back in. Called them and said its done and ready for new meter. Guy came out and put in new meter.

I called with my plan recently, the lady said I need to have a contractor remove the meter. I took that as not even contact DTE. Sure I can cut the little wire/lock on the meter outside and pull it off, hook up my new service and then replace meter, but, I thought that if the meter is off for too long, it will freak out and shut off? Not saying I’ll pull the meter for days, and not sure of the meter time limit being removed either. It was really confusing discussing with the lady at DTE.

Someone else has done this before, how did you go about it?

Thanks!

Just pull the meter and do your work, just remember that if your adding a bigger service panel you need to update the meter can and the wire from the meter to the panel. Then have dte upgrade the wire from the meter up.

If your upgrading the meter can dte will come and remove the live wire and reconnect the wire after your done.

I just did that on my house. I had a pretty old setup and they had to run two new six foot ground rods in the backyard too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Cool

You guys are making this way over complicated. Years ago I simply ran
    an extension cord from the neighbor's house one night and its worked
    great ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    You guys are making this way over complicated. Years ago I simply ran
    an extension cord from the neighbor's house one night and its worked
    great ever since!
    It's funny you mention that - I have a college story!

I was in an Engineering Fraternity when I was in college at Oakland U and we had another chapter down at Detroit Mercy that actually owned a house on McNichols across the street from U of D. The house had been occupied by squatters, but they restarted the chapter and had assumed ownership. It had gone to hell, and everything needed to be replaced. So we were over there one day when they were doing the electrical service. They disconnected the power, but there was still a guys radio playing up on the second floor. We go in there and look out the window - he has a romex line running out the side of the house, hooking into power on the roof of the gas station next door that powered the one outlet by the window. Only in the D!

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    It's funny you mention that - I have a college story!

I was in an Engineering Fraternity when I was in college at Oakland U and we had another chapter down at Detroit Mercy that actually owned a house on McNichols across the street from U of D. The house had been occupied by squatters, but they restarted the chapter and had assumed ownership. It had gone to hell, and everything needed to be replaced. So we were over there one day when they were doing the electrical service. They disconnected the power, but there was still a guys radio playing up on the second floor. We go in there and look out the window - he has a romex line running out the side of the house, hooking into power on the roof of the gas station next door that powered the one outlet by the window. Only in the D!

-Geoff

Creative, resourceful, talented & skilled......my kinda guy!

I had two panels replaced in the last 2years at different houses. Dte did not get involved on either. Contractor just pulled the meter and did his work, a couple hours later put it back in and there hasn't been any issues.

keep records of when you did this, in case DTE asks in the future why the seal is missing from the meter can
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Just a FYI I have pulled my meter multiple times without issues. Not only for the service change but for portable generator hookup before I had an interlock. DTE did reinstall the tamper seal but never heard from them about why it was removed. They understand that service and what not will at times take a meter out for a short period of time.

Thread Information