Thread: Bats

Default Bats

Has anyone here had any experience with bats in an attic? I had what I thought was 1, turned out to be 2 or 3 get into my garage ceiling and got stuck. They weren't there long because there was not really any crap. I'm 99% sure they wont be able to get back in the way they originally got in. Looking for input before I put new drywall back up. The garage is attached to the house but doesnt have an attic and doesnt really connect to the main house attic due to the roof design.

i just had one in my house, came in with the christmas tree, was flying in my living roof, I know this doesnt help but its funny
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Have that merit badge. Part of country living I guess. Plug the holes where they can get in and keep a badminton racket at the ready for self defense.

I Drag Race Because It's Fun, Not Because I'm Good At It.

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    i just had one in my house, came in with the christmas tree, was flying in my living roof, I know this doesnt help but its funny
    That sounds like a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sledder View Post
    Have that merit badge. Part of country living I guess. Plug the holes where they can get in and keep a badminton racket at the ready for self defense.
    These ones were pretty dumb and looking for a place to hibernate (I'm assuming). I sealed up one possible point of entry and still have the drywall removed. I left the garage lights on to deter them from trying to make a home. So far it seems to have worked.

I had originally heard what I thought was a mouse, pulled the sheet of drywall out, my wife calmly said "oh my god it's a fucking bat". I put the sheet of drywall outside and it flew away. I put the sheet back up and called it good. It was in a very weird spot so I figured there was only one. One new years eve I heard the same noise and looked up to see a claw poke out of the open drywall joint (it wasnt my best patch job to say the least). The next day another MM member came over to pull the same sheet of drywall. Same thing, a bat in the same spot, I figured maybe it came back. I pulled the insulation from the rafters and found one more tucked away in a corner. So those 2 bats will not be visiting anyone's property any longer.

The only deterrent that I seem to find commonly mentioned is menthol or moth balls. Once again, this is a part of the roof that is sealed from the attic. The garage has a hip roof with no attic, when I started finishing the garage I put in some soffit vent baffles on between the rafters, R-15 insulation and then drywalled. I did make a slight dropdown in the center of the garage to make a cavity and insulated it with R60 to keep a small space where the 2 roof vents are. If anything is up top, its stuck because it is completely inaccessible.

I think the bats originally came into the garage when I had the soffit opened during the rear garage door install then flocked to the warmest part of the garage, they were 1 cavity away from my heaters vent stack. So that's the long and short of it.

My go-to place for pest control:

https://bugspray.com/articles98/bats.html

I have a friend that lives in an old farmhouse. Years ago he had a bat infestation in his attic. After some research his conclusion was that the bats were looking for somewhere quiet to roost. His remedy was to have me go outside and stand lookout where the entry point was while he played with his tone generator. (He's an extreme audiophile) I have no idea what frequency it was, but as he was doing a sweep, the bats came out in hoards. After that, he put an old clock radio in the attic close to where they were coming in and hasn't had a problem since.

Thread Information