Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying (or trying to) a new car

Forum Member

Default Buying (or trying to) a new car

Two months ago a co-worker went to her local Ford dealer to buy a new Bronco. The saleslady wrote up the paperwork to sell her a Bronco at MSRP for $38K. The sales manager told her no, this is a $58 K vehicle....there are very few cars for sale so we have to mark them up. Needless to say, my co-worker went to a different dealership and got her Bronco at MSRP. Is this happening a lot, where they are selling (or trying to sell) at an extra-large markup?

Forum Member

Yep, happening at a lot of places. I have been looking at 4Runners, and stories I've seen about other people buying them state they are up to 20k over.
    Sure I need to get serious about a new vehicle, but I don't need it that bad. I'm happy to hear your co-worker walked out, I'd have to do more than just walk out....Choice words would be spoken.

On the Bronco's dealers are marking them up. Some dealers aren't honoring purchase orders unless they are signed by the sales manager. They don't care. If you don't want it for the markup, the next guy will.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    On the Bronco's dealers are marking them up. Some dealers aren't honoring purchase orders unless they are signed by the sales manager. They don't care. If you don't want it for the markup, the next guy will.
    I hope every dealer that does this loses customers. I have leased six trucks in a row from Lungahammer in Pontiac, and if they tried this crap on me they would lose my business for life. I think it is shortsighted.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I hope every dealer that does this loses customers. I have leased six trucks in a row from Lungahammer in Pontiac, and if they tried this crap on me they would lose my business for life. I think it is shortsighted.

-Geoff
    I was talking to a Cadillac salesman a few days ago asking about the new Escalade. He said No loyalty discounts, No employee, Pay full boat or no deal. They don't care how many vehicles you've purchased, who you know....
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    I was talking to a Cadillac salesman a few days ago asking about the new Escalade. He said No loyalty discounts, No employee, Pay full boat or no deal. They don't care how many vehicles you've purchased, who you know....
    That seems more reasonable at least on something that is in limited supply. My cousin bought a loaded suburban about a year ago, and he still got the dealer to honor the supplier pricing tag I got him, but he said he wasn't budging before that. $20,000 markup is just ridiculous though. From an employee standpoint, you can still tag one through the PEP too, and the dealer has no say in that pricing.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

GM is being the absolute worst about stuff like this. Ford will let me use employee discount, plus add the $3,500 incentive voucher they sent me to order a new Superduty, and pay me on trade what i originally paid for my current Superduty 2 1/2 years ago lol. I heard the Broncos and the raptors were selling at msrp at most dealers though. A friend of a friend went out of state to a dealer to get his raptor this year to avoid paying markup.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    GM is being the absolute worst about stuff like this. Ford will let me use employee discount, plus add the $3,500 incentive voucher they sent me to order a new Superduty, and pay me on trade what i originally paid for my current Superduty 2 1/2 years ago lol. I heard the Broncos and the raptors were selling at msrp at most dealers though. A friend of a friend went out of state to a dealer to get his raptor this year to avoid paying markup.
    The Raptors, being SVT/limited production dont count for A/X/Z plan. I wish they did. The Broncos can have A/X/Z plan pricing but it depends on how shitty and greedy the dealership is. I have a Bronco on order, it will be over a year late but I was quoted A-plan pricing during the initial order. I am also preparing for the dealership to try to bait and switch my original order to remove the A-plan or tack on a BS market adjustment.

I wonder where Varsity Ford is in the middle of all of this ...does Trunk even come on here. Anymore
    Driven Crazy

I think the best thing to do is leave Google reviews with your experiences. It stays there forever and can serve as a warning to others. Plus when the economy inevitably flips, you can go there and turn the screws to them back and not even feel bad about it.

My Dad is a GM retiree. I haven't bought a new vehicle since 2017. But up until that point I'd turned in 3 separate dealerships for shenanigans.

My next vehicle will probably be a motorhome, and thus far the dealerships I've been to remind me of used car salesmen selling manufactured homes. Sounds like new car dealerships are the same way these days.

Thread Information