Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All-electric F-150 Lightning

15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Interested to see how it compares the the new Hummer in terms of range, battery pack, charging, etc.

-Geoff
    Bet you any of these electric cars won’t charge faster than me filling up at the gas pump. This is especially crucial for road trips. Who wants to stand around for more than 10 minutes to charge their car?

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    Bet you any of these electric cars won’t charge faster than me filling up at the gas pump. This is especially crucial for road trips. Who wants to stand around for more than 10 minutes to charge their car?
    For how I use my truck it would be fine. As long as I could get home with a skid of mulch in the back like I did last month - which is the truckiest thing I do in my Silverado. I don't need to go more than 300 miles at a time. On the rare occasions I travel far with it, I will have to plan the charge stop anyways, so it would be part of the trip. One thing you can't generally do, is just assume you can run an extension cord and plug it in. Takes forever to get a charge on 110 V.

I think Ford might have a hit here if they can keep the lease price comparable to the regular F150. It sounds like they could with a $40k-ish sticker too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    I figure if they can get the range over 400, and the charge time(at least to 80%) in under 30 minutes, EVs will take off, if the prices can be managed
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    I figure if they can get the range over 400, and the charge time(at least to 80%) in under 30 minutes, EVs will take off, if the prices can be managed
    I agree. That kind of range is no issue to me. I also need to mention that years ago I was a naysayer of electric vehicles and thought that they would FLOP, including Tesla.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

I think it checks all the boxes. They will sell. If they ever make a 2 door short bed, look out.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

230 miles of range on the standard version isnt even enough range to get me to my favorite weekend fishing spot and back in one day.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    I wondering if the buyout on my 2019 ram lease might be a good option. I wanted to purchase a used one and the buyout price is 24k I believe.
    I have a guy who will buy it from you. PM if interested. He's buying up leases like crazy!
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

300 miles?

I'd like to see how far it gets pulling 4 snowmobiles to the UP in February on a cold day. I'm guessing you have to stop twice on the way up there to recharge.

What if you launch a boat and the rear end of the truck is in the water, does that fuck things up?

Yes it makes a lot of power/torque, but I'll keep my old farm truck.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    For how I use my truck it would be fine. As long as I could get home with a skid of mulch in the back like I did last month - which is the truckiest thing I do in my Silverado. I don't need to go more than 300 miles at a time. On the rare occasions I travel far with it, I will have to plan the charge stop anyways, so it would be part of the trip. One thing you can't generally do, is just assume you can run an extension cord and plug it in. Takes forever to get a charge on 110 V.

I think Ford might have a hit here if they can keep the lease price comparable to the regular F150. It sounds like they could with a $40k-ish sticker too.

-Geoff
    If I had to guess, I would say that with 10,000 lb loads you would be down maybe to maybe 100-120 miles in range. At 5000 lb I would guess it would be around 200-220 miles. But yea, it would be tough to use an EV like that as a primary vehicle to go very far up north. If you look at the Lightning, Ford is claiming that it will calculate range based on what the load in the truck is. If you were 200 miles from Houghton (213 miles from my house), then you would be right on the limit with two sleds, and you would have to have a charging station when you get there. The truck would advise you on the way if you were going to make it, and tell you where to charge if it thought you weren't going to make it.

The cold doesn't hit the EV's like it used to because the heat pump systems are so efficient. Most EV's don't even have a traditional heater core anymore, they use a heating condenser running off the AC system to generate cabin heat. Most of them have an electric cabin heater, but it is only used until the heat pump is up to temp. The only thing that traditional green anti-freeze is used for is moving heat into and out of the battery pack. The heat pumps have made a huge difference in cold range compared to previous generations, which is a big change from first gen EV's 20 years ago. The tech is actually pretty amazing when you dig into it.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 05-20-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Thread Information