Thread: Old School Timing Light

Forum Member

Default Old School Timing Light

I'm looking for an older timing light. Maybe Craftsman or other brand. My timing light has a dial retard on it and when I use it to set timing on my MSD6 system (and a locked distributor) it shows the timing retarding 4-6 degrees as the RPM goes up. I read that this issue can happen so I borrowed an old Craftsman timing light to verify the issue and timing was steady with the older timing light. I guess I need old school tools for old school builds. Let me know if anyone has one they want to sell. My buddy wouldn't sell me his.

Club Member

I have a couple - $20 Ea

DSC_3481s.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I'm looking for an older timing light. Maybe Craftsman or other brand. My timing light has a dial retard on it and when I use it to set timing on my MSD6 system (and a locked distributor) it shows the timing retarding 4-6 degrees as the RPM goes up. I read that this issue can happen so I borrowed an old Craftsman timing light to verify the issue and timing was steady with the older timing light. I guess I need old school tools for old school builds. Let me know if anyone has one they want to sell. My buddy wouldn't sell me his.
    Have you tried shooting timing with an MSD light?

Forum Member

I'm interested in your Craftsman light. I can't come and get it till next week if that's ok. MSD timing lights are almost $200 and the only time I've ever had this issue was with a locked distributor so I'd rather just go with a simple light for the rare occasion I'm working with a locked distributor. I already have a bunch tied up in the "fancy" timing light I have.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I'm interested in your Craftsman light. I can't come and get it till next week if that's ok. MSD timing lights are almost $200 and the only time I've ever had this issue was with a locked distributor so I'd rather just go with a simple light for the rare occasion I'm working with a locked distributor. I already have a bunch tied up in the "fancy" timing light I have.
    No problem - I've had both for many, many years. I am sure I can wait a little while longer...

Forum Member

If fastford passes I’m interested.

Thread Information