Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a brick mason?

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Default Can anyone recommend a brick mason?

I need some repairs done on my attached garage. I'm not looking for a hookup or better deal because I drop a name, I need someone who will do a good job and not screw me over. Anyone have a company/ guy they've used? Sal? I'm sure you know someone...

Thanks!
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Edit- I guess I should have said I'm in Troy, M59 and Rochester road...
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

PM sent

i need one to at the other end of m59 US 23 and m59
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

I just had both my chimneys rebuilt by Madison Maintenance in Grosse Pointe. These guys are the real deal - instead of re-mortaring the limestone cap, they built forms and poured new concrete caps on the Chimneys, and rebuilt 12 layers of brick. I ask, and they do the whole metro area - no guarantees about M59 and 23 Ken, but maybe if the job was big enough.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I went to have someone "reputable" out of Ann Arbor to re-build my chimney cap and re-seal the mortar above the flashing... and they showed up with some smear on crap and wanted to charge me $800 for it. I told him to put down the caulk gun, gave him $50, and told him to get the fuck off my property.

I sat there with an angle grinder and ground off the old cap, scrubbed the chimney with a tire brush and Scrubbing Bubbles, built a new set of forms, poured a new cap out of high temperature cement/concrete, and applied the sealer myself. Would have gladly given someone $800 to do that.

10 years later and it looks like brand new, except covered with creosote from burning 11-18 face cords of wood every year.

One of the few things I was going to hire a "professional" to do and regretted wasting my time. So yeah, find someone that doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    I went to have someone "reputable" out of Ann Arbor to re-build my chimney cap and re-seal the mortar above the flashing... and they showed up with some smear on crap and wanted to charge me $800 for it. I told him to put down the caulk gun, gave him $50, and told him to get the fuck off my property.

I sat there with an angle grinder and ground off the old cap, scrubbed the chimney with a tire brush and Scrubbing Bubbles, built a new set of forms, poured a new cap out of high temperature cement/concrete, and applied the sealer myself. Would have gladly given someone $800 to do that.

10 years later and it looks like brand new, except covered with creosote from burning 11-18 face cords of wood every year.

One of the few things I was going to hire a "professional" to do and regretted wasting my time. So yeah, find someone that doesn't suck.
    When I moved into my house, I paid JohnQuick $800 to stop the leaking on my chimneys - just like you said with smearing some mortar on them. It held for a little while, and I am glad I did it, but having these guys do the full rebuild with a poured cap means I will never have to mess with it as long as I live. Warning though, not cheap!

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Yeah, it's not cheap if it's done well. Even me doing it, full on amateur, took me 6 hours total and $120 worth of material (probably be about $12,000 now with lumber and building materials being so high). $680 for 6 hours is a pretty good wage, especially for 2011.

Having some asshat with a caulk gun smear some $7 polyurethane on was not worth $800 I was quoted.

Looking back, I should have charged him $210 for removing the polyurethane instead of paying him $50 to go fuck someone else over.

I used this guy last year to install some glass block windows....
    Jim McGukin 248-506-8041 .... so far I am happy with what they did.
    Not the cheapest but trying to get anyone to come out during covid to work was a challenge.
    He was suggested to me by a local guy (right by you- Hartwig?) that had a brick laying business.... they shifted into sales... easier on their body.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAG-ULA View Post
    I need some repairs done on my attached garage. I'm not looking for a hookup or better deal because I drop a name, I need someone who will do a good job and not screw me over. Anyone have a company/ guy they've used? Sal? I'm sure you know someone...

Thanks!
    Like to help out but the guys I know are super slammed and no way they can get to it this year.. give Johnny Quick a shout out?
    Construction is at an all time craziness! Feel bad for anyone wanting work done with these prices of materials and labor
    SAL

Thread Information