Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advise on a car/SUV for my Niece.

Default Looking for advise on a car/SUV for my Niece.

My niece was originally going to drive my brothers Grand Cherokee, but changed her mind and wants something smaller and better on gas. I have exactly 0 experience in any cars that doesn't have either a large frame turbo 6 or a V8.

Whats the take on the small SUV market? Newish Escapes (14-17) 1.5, 1.6 or 2.0 2.5l? Equinox or Terrain 1.5, 2.0l. Jeep Cherokee. 4cy vs v6? I would prefer it to be 4WD or AWD.

She has also mentioned the Fusion, Malibu. Same year (price) ranges.

Any experience would help. I don't want to start a ford vs GM vs dodge debate.

I am buying wholesale at the auction so I don't have much time to inspect the vehicle before I buy it.

Thanks in advance...

Andy
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    My niece was originally going to drive my brothers Grand Cherokee, but changed her mind and wants something smaller and better on gas. I have exactly 0 experience in any cars that doesn't have either a large frame turbo 6 or a V8.

Whats the take on the small SUV market? Newish Escapes (14-17) 1.5, 1.6 or 2.0 2.5l? Equinox or Terrain 1.5, 2.0l. Jeep Cherokee. 4cy vs v6? I would prefer it to be 4WD or AWD.

She has also mentioned the Fusion, Malibu. Same year (price) ranges.

Any experience would help. I don't want to start a ford vs GM vs dodge debate.

I am buying wholesale at the auction so I don't have much time to inspect the vehicle before I buy it.

Thanks in advance...

Andy
    the newer cherokee is decent along with the compass 4 cylinder decent on gas and room wise.
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Escapes are notorious for the rear wheel well rotting out. Other then that I have nothing to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Escapes are notorious for the rear wheel well rotting out. Other then that I have nothing to contribute.

Like every other car in Michigan?.....
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

My elderly neighbor has a 3year old escape with 4K miles she is selling. Probably $21,500

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Default Looking for advise on a car/SUV for my Niece.

I really liked my 2018 Compass Limited. The lower models are pretty cheap looking/feeling, but the Limited was a damn nice little SUV for the money. They got the current generation remodel spot on IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by ultradriver10000 View Post
    My elderly neighbor has a 3year old escape with 4K miles she is selling. Probably $21,500
    Thanks. That’s a little more then she wants to spend. We’re looking at cars with a MMR do around 10k. May want to look into selling to Carvana. They’re paying damn near retail right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    I really liked my 2018 Compass Limited. The lower models are pretty cheap looking/feeling, but the Limited was a damn nice little SUV for the money. They got the current generation remodel spot on IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll have to check it out. My coworker has a stripped down one and it feels cheep inside.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Second generation Equinox or Terrain with the 2.4L 4banger and AWD are pretty decent. Cheap to insure and work on, kind of gutless with 180hp and 3800lb, but decent room inside with the sliding rear seat. The 3.6L is a rocket in it and gets about the same real world gas mileage but is a PITA to work on. My wife is on her third one and I don't know what I'm going to do when she wears this one out.

The new ones are comparatively garbage for what they cost. The new Acadia/Blazer/XT5 are built on the same platform as the old second generation Terrain/Equinox (Theta LWB/C1XX), but are way more expensive. (The Terrain and Equinox went to a smaller platform [D2XX] in 2018 so that's why they look tiny like a Buick Envision).

Cool

Escapes 2011 and down.
    Equinox fair well / average.
    2010 - 2012 Fusion above average.

And of course, Rav4 & CRV always a good bet.

What is her price range? She'll get twice the car
    for almost half the price over a SUV 4x4/AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Second generation Equinox or Terrain with the 2.4L 4banger and AWD are pretty decent. Cheap to insure and work on, kind of gutless with 180hp and 3800lb, but decent room inside with the sliding rear seat. The 3.6L is a rocket in it and gets about the same real world gas mileage but is a PITA to work on. My wife is on her third one and I don't know what I'm going to do when she wears this one out.

The new ones are comparatively garbage for what they cost. The new Acadia/Blazer/XT5 are built on the same platform as the old second generation Terrain/Equinox (Theta LWB/C1XX), but are way more expensive. (The Terrain and Equinox went to a smaller platform [D2XX] in 2018 so that's why they look tiny like a Buick Envision).
    Thanks for the info. My sister had 2 equinox and she liked them. I can’t really use her experience because she leases them for 2 years and puts 8k miles on them. I want to know how they last and how much maintenance they require.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Thread Information