Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tesla vs Camaro................vs curb

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    Buddy took delivery of his tesla Model S Plaid, its scary how fast it is
    Does the plaid have special performance hardware, or is it just a performance factory tune on an otherwise normal Model S? Meaning, are all Model S's mechanically (electrically) the same, and it's just a software change?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    Does the plaid have special performance hardware, or is it just a performance factory tune on an otherwise normal Model S? Meaning, are all Model S's mechanically (electrically) the same, and it's just a software change?
    It is the same but different under the hood - a lot of the same parts are replaced with upgrade and high performance versions. The car has a smaller "Frunk" than a standard model S too (3.1 vs 5.3 ft3). The big enabler isn't enough batteries, it is having enough cooling. I think there are three AC condensers, two chillers where they use the AC to cool down the coolant that is pumped through the battery pack, and there is probably an extra coolant pump or they increased the regular two or three in size. I am not sure what they did with the AC compressor - some EV's are actually running two now, but some just upgrade to a gigantic single one.

As much as it burns me to say it, Tesla is really the benchmark in the EV space. It will be really interesting to see if they can hold on to that benchmark once GM, Ford, Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc... really start rolling out EV's. I think you will see the tech start to really accelerate.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Thread Information