Thread: Upholstery Shop Recommendations

Default Upholstery Shop Recommendations

Any recent feedback or recommendations?

following I need the seats on my dodge done
    Driven Crazy

Suburban Auto Trim & Glass
    Address: 30410 W Nine Mile Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
    Phone: (248) 474-7520

Full disclosure, they only stitched up my boat cover, but they appeared to be an "old school" upholstery shop that has been doing it for the past 50 years. They came recommended by the lady at the sewing shop so there's that too. I'm guessing it's a hidden "gem" that not many know about but do great work. Reasonable price for me on my work.

My Mother in Law does upholstery.
    "Jeannine's Upholstery" 810 659 1071
    She is located in Flushing, NW of Flint.
    Tell her Jim sent you.

What kind of work are you looking to have done? Keep us updated with results. I might be looking at re-cushioning and recovering my bench seat in my 1951 F1 with something that isn't off the shelf.

With that said, I have recovered a few seats. I am about to reupholster my 69 Mustang with a pair of Mach 1 highback seats, TMI upholstery and foam.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    What kind of work are you looking to have done? Keep us updated with results. I might be looking at re-cushioning and recovering my bench seat in my 1951 F1 with something that isn't off the shelf.

With that said, I have recovered a few seats. I am about to reupholster my 69 Mustang with a pair of Mach 1 highback seats, TMI upholstery and foam.
    Essentially looking at similar task. Re-foam, and re-cover a pair of older Recaro seats. Trying to gauge this cost, versus potentially buying new.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg87 View Post
    Essentially looking at similar task. Re-foam, and re-cover a pair of older Recaro seats. Trying to gauge this cost, versus potentially buying new.
    I have never priced out Recaro upholstery but I cant see it being more expensive than buying replacement seats. With that said, it took me almost 4 months to get some "off the shelf" reproduction covers from CJ Pony Parts (shipped directly from the supplier, TMI Upholstery).

Thanks Mike. Do you have a specific materials supplier in which you've used to do seats in the past? Initial thoughts would be some leather and some alcantara.
    Last edited by ajg87; 09-25-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks Mike. Do you have a specific materials supplier in which you've used to do seats in the past? Initial thoughts would be some leather and some alcantara.
    All of my car upholstery experience has been with TMI products which is all off-the-shelf stuff. As far as custom upholstery, my only experience is with boat covers, which I doubt would do car seats.

I had the driver's seat in my 81 TTA with factory Recaro's re-foamed, ripped side bolster repaired, and they had to re-weld the seat frame too because I drove it so much with the seat bracket broken. I had the work done at Shelby Trim. I think it was like $350 15 years ago. It was a lot but the seat looks amazing now. The black material matches perfectly and the entire seat looks and feels perfect. I would highly recommend them.

As a side note - they also do all the convertible top replacements for Rinke Chevrolet - they did the top on my 2012 Camaro. Top notch shop. Not cheap, but the work is amazing.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Thread Information