Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what are we going to argue about now?

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Agree. I think the c8 Corvette is a good exception... base stingray was exciting & they just announced the c8 z06, but more generally I see your point. On the marketing side, I think the Big 3 need to look at Tesla's model (as much as it pains me to say that) WRT spending $0 on a marketing department, TV commercials and the like. If your product is good and exciting enough, word of mouth and press is enough marketing to saturate your supply/demand needs. You really only need marketing to sell POS products at a discount to people who otherwise wouldn't consider buying that POS other than the discounted price. Imagine if GM or Ford could take tens or hundreds of millions of dollars they spend on marketing and re-invest into the product development and part quality.

I generally agree with most of your other points too.

You'd also have to be blind not to see the impending China invasion of the US EV industry sometime in the next few years. It's going to be like the early 1980's Japanese invasion and decimation of the US auto industry. Probably worse job-wise as I doubt any final assembly will be done in the US. Those companies are still ramping up their operations, product offerings, etc... but once ready, the only thing keeping them at bay is the US Government... and while the current 25% China tariff may impede some movement, you also need to look at the current USG administration and decide how strongly they will stand their ground to defend the domestic auto industry. Remember, the big bad orange dude is the one who put the current China tariff in place... so the old senile team would probably construe removing that tariff as a 'win' in our current political environment. Imagine a Tesla for half the price. These companies are already entering the European markets under their own brands (not badged as traditional OEM but made in China). And they meet European car regulations and such. It's only a matter of time, and fighting it means you're fighting globalization. I do get worried about Tesla's success and what it may mean to the Big 3 if they don't pull their heads out of their asses and start making the hard decisions to compete with these start ups (antiquated & hated dealership model, UAW, lots of legacy structural cost, Big 3 reputation outside of the Midwest)... but I'm even more worried about the China invasion.

Want to talk about IP theft? How many of the traditional OEMs are manufacturing in China today? All that IP is out the window. That includes Tesla.

Agreed. Although I also (maybe silly-ly) worry about the availability of 93 octane gasoline in 2035 or so. Do I want to spend $100k on a 2025 c8 z06 (as you suggest) to only not be able to get gas for it in 2035? Probably unfounded concerns, but certainly a risk as it seems ICE auto days are numbered.
    I think of the ICE just like I do the 2nd amendment, an ICE is useless without fuel just like a gun is useless without ammo. If the powers at be want to force the people in a specific direction they will try.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I think what is happening to the Hellcat is going to happen across the Big 3. I have no inside info on this, but I expect the Mustang and Camaro to make a similar announcement soon. When I bought my 2016 Camaro, I planned on keeping it six years. Now, I am going to keep it a little longer and buy a Camaro the last year they make it.

I would suggest that everyone who has a car they love - Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, even Corvette - do the same thing. This generation we are in of performance cars may very well be the last ,and it is easily the BEST these cars have ever been in terms of performance. Don't kick yourself in 10 years because you didn't buy that car that will never be made again. Gasoline is going to be around a lot longer than these cars will, that is for sure.

-Geoff
    When my sister picked up the little Buick SUV for my Niece, he said that the 6.2 is being cut next year.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Don't be sad that it's over ....
    Be Happy that it Happened

I though it was over 40 years ago when they started putting 305's in Z28's
    Driven Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by wickettoby1 View Post
    I think of the ICE just like I do the 2nd amendment, an ICE is useless without fuel just like a gun is useless without ammo. If the powers at be want to force the people in a specific direction they will try.
    Time to start growing some corn and distilling my own ICE fuel. haha

Thread Information