Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying (or trying to) a new car

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    I wonder where Varsity Ford is in the middle of all of this ...does Trunk even come on here. Anymore
    https://www.carindigo.com/news/here-...021-bronco-suv

About a quarter down the page gets into who isn’t charging ADM on them. Not sure on accuracy but Varsity is on the list as not charging it. I hope that’s the case.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Gm dealers just got notified to stop this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Gm dealers just got notified to stop this.
    Good, fuck all those price gouging pricks. Especially the ones trying the old bait and switch paperwork (Broncos orders are getting hammered with "market adjustment'). I'm waiting for my Bronco order to be fulfilled and I'm waiting to see if the dealership is going to try to not honor my A-Plan or 2021 build price (even though my price is supposed to be locked in from my original order date).

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    Good, fuck all those price gouging pricks. Especially the ones trying the old bait and switch paperwork (Broncos orders are getting hammered with "market adjustment'). I'm waiting for my Bronco order to be fulfilled and I'm waiting to see if the dealership is going to try to not honor my A-Plan or 2021 build price (even though my price is supposed to be locked in from my original order date).
    I don't think the OEM can actually control the pricing specifically, but if the dealers are pulling bait and switch, then that is probably illegal, and GM can terminate their franchise if they keep doing it. If your paperwork has the price included, then trying to charge you more is unethical if not fraudulent. At GM I heard that people were reserving Electric Silverados online for $100, and some dealers were trying to get them to cough up more money (you had to pick a dealer when you reserved it).

That is such a short sighted policy too. I've bought like ten leases in the last twenty years from my guy at Lunghamer. If he tried that stuff (which I know he wouldn't), I'd just get them somewhere else. The smart ones know that! My wife got an Edge from Suburban a few years ago, and the finance guy tried to add $500 to her lease for some fabric protection bullshit. Needless to say I forced him to reprint the paperwork without it, and we didn't go back there for her next lease.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I don't think the OEM can actually control the pricing specifically, but if the dealers are pulling bait and switch, then that is probably illegal, and GM can terminate their franchise if they keep doing it. If your paperwork has the price included, then trying to charge you more is unethical if not fraudulent. At GM I heard that people were reserving Electric Silverados online for $100, and some dealers were trying to get them to cough up more money (you had to pick a dealer when you reserved it).

That is such a short sighted policy too. I've bought like ten leases in the last twenty years from my guy at Lunghamer. If he tried that stuff (which I know he wouldn't), I'd just get them somewhere else. The smart ones know that! My wife got an Edge from Suburban a few years ago, and the finance guy tried to add $500 to her lease for some fabric protection bullshit. Needless to say I forced him to reprint the paperwork without it, and we didn't go back there for her next lease.

-Geoff

Yes, the manufacturer cannot set the dealership price, just the MSRP. They can set franchise agreements and guidelines. They are supposed to honor order price (we looked up the Michigan laws yesterday, actually). The part that people are upset about is exactly what you described. Reserving a vehicle for the $100, the dealership asking for more then finally getting the vehicle delivered and getting some BS market adjustment or added "dealer installed" items. I saw quite a few dealerships charging $200-500 for wheel locks...... they are $50 retail. The dealerships then tell you that you have 48 hrs to take delivery or lose your order.

My specific Bronco order (from almost 2 years ago) was the$100 online deposit, set the dealership you want to take delivery at. I get an email saying I need to come in to pick my options in 3 days or lose my reservation. I get there and they want another $400 non-refundable deposit made to the dealership plus they wanted to run my credit check. After I explained that running a credit check was idiotic because the vehicle was a year away from delivery, I paid the $400 so I wouldn't lose my order. If I gave my order up, the dealership still gets that vehicle allocation. From what I saw on some other forums, dealers were asking $3-5k deposits. The whole experience from all manufacturers is poor.
    Last edited by mustangmike6996; 01-26-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Arrow

Yes, the manufacturer cannot set the dealership price, just the MSRP. They can set franchise agreements and guidelines. They are supposed to honor order price (we looked up the Michigan laws yesterday, actually). The part that people are upset about is exactly what you described. Reserving a vehicle for the $100, the dealership asking for more then finally getting the vehicle delivered and getting some BS market adjustment or added "dealer installed" items. I saw quite a few dealerships charging $200-500 for wheel locks...... they are $50 retail. The dealerships then tell you that you have 48 hrs to take delivery or lose your order.

My specific Bronco order (from almost 2 years ago) was the$100 online deposit, set the dealership you want to take delivery at. I get an email saying I need to come in to pick my options in 3 days or lose my reservation. I get there and they want another $400 non-refundable deposit made to the dealership plus they wanted to run my credit check. After I explained that running a credit check was idiotic because the vehicle was a year away from delivery, I paid the $400 so I wouldn't lose my order. If I gave my order up, the dealership still gets that vehicle allocation. From what I saw on some other forums, dealers were asking $3-5k deposits. The whole experience from all manufacturers is poor.
    I hope you mean that the $400 additional deposit (+ the $100) is deducted from
    the agreed original price from the 2020 order.

My specific Bronco order (from almost 2 years ago) was the$100 online deposit, set the dealership you want to take delivery at. I get an email saying I need to come in to pick my options in 3 days or lose my reservation. I get there and they want another $400 non-refundable deposit made to the dealership plus they wanted to run my credit check.
    That is exactly what was happening at GM for the Silverado EV, and why GM wrote the letter Larry posted. That is BS. Hopefully they don't try to bump the price on you - I would assume that your reservation included the sale price so it would probably be illegal. They are probably trying to shake loose some reservations because they can still get your vehicle then mark up the crap out of it if you bail. That is just dirty, though.

I would try writing a complaint to Ford, just to get it on record. Maybe they will discourage the practice, or at least support you if the dealer tries to bump the price. And I did look, and GM charge like $200 for black lug nuts already on Camaro, so they might not even be marking them up at Ford.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 01-26-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    I hope you mean that the $400 additional deposit (+ the $100) is deducted from
    the agreed original price from the 2020 order.
    Yes, that will be deducted from the A-Plan price.

That is exactly what was happening at GM for the Silverado EV, and why GM wrote the letter Larry posted. That is BS. Hopefully they don't try to bump the price on you - I would assume that your reservation included the sale price so it would probably be illegal. They are probably trying to shake loose some reservations because they can still get your vehicle then mark up the crap out of it if you bail. That is just dirty, though.

I would try writing a complaint to Ford, just to get it on record. Maybe they will discourage the practice, or at least support you if the dealer tries to bump the price. And I did look, and GM charge like $200 for black lug nuts already on Camaro, so they might not even be marking them up at Ford.

-Geoff
    So, the funny story about my specific order:

When I ordered, my order number was a duplicate so it showed up incorrectly on the Ford website. Eventually corporate sent an email out telling employees that we can contact corporate directly for any Bronco sales issues. I contacted them directly, Ford apparently contacted the dealership and forwarded my original email (with my corporate signature). I immediately got an email from the sales manager addressing me as Mr instead of Mike and many many apologies. I dont foresee them giving me issues, but I am preparing myself to expect some typical bait and switch crap when it does arrive.

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

-Geoff
    I would think the OEM's could control this easily. State any dealership found doing mark ups over xx% of MSRP would be given 0 allocation of future releases. Run an ad for it and next thing you know, dealerships at worst are marking things up 10%. If they do 11% and someone complains, the next Z06 allotment that comes out they get only resales.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Thread Information