Thread: Cold Air Intake System?

Cool Cold Air Intake System?

I have never installed on of these "Cold Air Intake System".

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there about these.

Some say they are a waste of money, that they simply don't work?

Others say you must get a tune done on your car for them to work?

This would be going on a stock 2005 Mustang GT 5sp with 28,000 miles.

Thank you!

s-l1600.jpg

I like them, but there is a lot of garbage out on the market. Get it from a reputable brand especially since it houses your MAF sensor. If the signal varies by more than 1% from stock you could start throwing codes. The good companies actually tune theirs on a flow bench. The bad ones just weld in a bung and call it a day. A good intake will definitely clean up your engine compartment, though, and it will sound better too. Horsepower? It depends on the engine and how bad the factory intake is.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I wouldn't get a cold air intake for your car unless you have other mods that require one. It's kind of a waste of money by itself for the small amount of power it might gain. You will need a tune.

Smile

My understanding is that the car benefits more from the tune than the CAI so if you are also getting a tune it should be fun. PS for the record I am the last guy you should ask if more horsepower is "worth it". Answer is always yes. Correct question would be "can you afford it".

I Drag Race Because It's Fun, Not Because I'm Good At It.

Club Member

Bill, on my 2007 GT 5 spd manual I had a CAI (C&L I think) that I got used from Lidio's daughter's car. Also got Lidio tune. I was trying to save money and knew the tune worked, so I asked Lidio if I could just get the tune and forget the CAI. He told me his tune was designed for that CAI and it made a noticeable difference. I was kinda like, meh, OK I'll give it a try. On my Lidio tuned but otherwise stock GT, the CAI did make a noticeable difference verses running the tune with the stock air box. The C&L CAI is a high quality unit. If you bother to get one don't go cheap and get a tune. You will feel the difference and drop time in your quarter mile. Many newer cars actually will lose power from a CAI, but that was not my experience with the '07 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    Bill, on my 2007 GT 5 spd manual I had a CAI (C&L I think) that I got used from Lidio's daughter's car. Also got Lidio tune. I was trying to save money and knew the tune worked, so I asked Lidio if I could just get the tune and forget the CAI. He told me his tune was designed for that CAI and it made a noticeable difference. I was kinda like, meh, OK I'll give it a try. On my Lidio tuned but otherwise stock GT, the CAI did make a noticeable difference verses running the tune with the stock air box. The C&L CAI is a high quality unit. If you bother to get one don't go cheap and get a tune. You will feel the difference and drop time in your quarter mile. Many newer cars actually will lose power from a CAI, but that was not my experience with the '07 GT.
    I did a JLT CAI on my 2010 GT. I waited to do the CAI until I did a cat-less midpipe and headers because each one of those parts required a retune, I went with a 93 octane tune. I then got it retuned when I did cams. The CAI/tune did feel faster (seat of the pants dyno) but it was costly. To elaborate on CAIs, the ones that don't require a tune are the ones to stay away from, they don't really add any noticeable HP/Tq, especially for the cost. The key is in the tune (which is the same price or more than the CAI).

Cool

Thanks guys, some very good info / feedback.

Thread Information