Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kill switches in cars in five years?!?!?!

Forum Member

Default kill switches in cars in five years?!?!?!

They can already shut your car off with OnStar without your permission. I am sure Tesla has it built in too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I don't hate the idea on paper. But as with any "power" it can easily be abused or even worse, hacked. Shutting down a vehicle in the event of a police pursuit can save lives/injuries caused by crashes during pursuits. Damaged property and cruisers from PIT maneuvering an evading person. But just as easily can be a problem when someone wants to plays games with traffic and shut half a dozen cars off going down the expressway.
    -Ryan-

91 Slow'noma - 14 Cruze Diesel - 16 Ram 1500 Limited
    16 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - 18 GasGas TXT300GP

Russian hackers... pay me or I disable your car
    Driven Crazy

It’s insane to think that all of the shit from the James Bond and mission impossible movies from 10-15 years ago are coming true. Personally I don’t think that it’s leading us to the “promise land” of rainbows and gum drops like we’re being led to believe.

Good. There's enough technology readily available to detect when a vehicle is proceeding the wrong way on a road.
    Such technology should be embraced. Note that automotive travel is vastly safer now than even a few decades ago thanks to advancement in technology.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    Russian hackers... pay me or I disable your car
    Or American hackers will do it for free....https://usa.kaspersky.com/blog/black...xplained/5749/

I'm on board with that.... just think how many lives will be saved.
    Even for something as simple as a traffic stop... Disable the vehicle.
    They could develop some sort of network for LE only.... would probably take federal monies and a partnership with auto manufactures. V-chip for your car....
    Its a bitch how easily your home/car/online activity can be monitored by our goverment

Forum Member

The scariest part for me is the AI aspect of it. What will determine impaired driving? Example:

1) I've had one too many Busch Lite's. I am driving along at 60mph on the 55mph rural roads where I live. I drift over the centerline into the oncoming lane for 5 seconds. Luckily, the lane was empty and I move back to the proper lane
    2) I am sober and alert, driving like a boss. I am driving along at 60mph on the 55mph rural roads where I live. There's a hazard on the shoulder - disabled vehicle, pedestrian, bicyclist - I purposefully drift over to the oncoming traffic lane for 5 seconds, having already checked that there is no oncoming traffic.

What will AI interpret that as? Facebook/Meta arguably is one of the leaders in usage of AI technology yet those fuckers' AI system still hasn't been remotely successful in managing my dispute over my hacked account.

Forum Member

Atrus bring up a good point. Also, I know a cop who used LEIN to check on her ex-boyfriends whereabouts. (She was suspended for 29 days) In a similar fashion, how do we know she wouldn't kill his car if she saw it?

Thread Information