Thread: Any Automatic Trans Experts?

Default Any Automatic Trans Experts?

So driving home today on Southfield Freeway my 2012 Grand Cherokee (3.6 V6 with NAG1 transmission) Check engine light came on and trans felt like it went into neutral. Pulled over and called a tow truck as it wouldn't move. After a few mins I started it back up and was able to crawl to a safer location to await the tow truck. I didn't give it any gas just idled on the shoulder.

Got home and moved it in forward and reverse no issues to get it in the garage. Hooked up the scan tool and got the following codes. Once when I put in in forward and reverse it didn't engage in gear. I immediately shut the car off and restarted it and it went back into gear forward and reverse.

P0700 Incorrect Gear Ratio
    P0730 3rd Gear incorrect Gear Ratio

Checked the trans fluid and it was brown but level was good (45mm at 120F) and didn't smell burnt just old. Pulled the trans pan and there was no metal on the magnet. Cut apart the filter and its clogged with very fine material. Could barely see light through it. Ran a magnet over it and no metal so its clogged with friction material I assume.

This trans never slipped or anything but has 155k miles on it. I changed the fluid and filter at around 100k. What are the odds that the aftermarket filter is just clogged and I don't need a transmission? It did make some faint noise when I got it in the garage in forward and reverse but it sounded like pump cavitation. Which would make sense if the pump was getting little to no fluid from the filter.

Thanks
    Jeremy

If you put it back together with a new filter and fluid and it works go buy a lotto ticket immediately!!!��

Is it possible the cooler or something in the fluid flow path is plugged?

My guess is your converter is coming apart. If you did not push it hard it will drive again. How long is anybody's guess...
    Use a oe filter(only- they are cheap), pay attention to the o-ring, use the correct spec fluid (should be atf+4 I think)
    If it continues to shift/work ok (and I think it will) change it every 6k or so or when you change your engine oil through the drain plug. That or drop the pan again in 10k and do the same process again (see whats in the filter again)
    Careful reinstalling the pan... those pan bolts strip very easily on a nag.
    Tons of aftermarket filters out there that plug up very quickly.... or bunch up internally.

Thanks Rich,

Was hoping you would pop your head in here. Looks like ill get a convertor on order and try the fluid and filter for now. Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Quick Update,

Went through the valve body and no issues found. Cleaned everything up and put a new trans filter and fluid and it was running and shifting like it had not issues. Sadly I know this isnt the case so ordered a new torque converter, trans seals, pan, filter, fluid and minor other odds and ends. Jeep will be the spare car until I can pull the trans and replace the converter hopefully next weekend.

I did not see a need to drop & disassemble the valvebody.
    Converter lining looks a bit like dirt when you see it in a pan or plugging up a converter. Not sure what you saw.
    If your capable of disassembling & re assembling a valve body you should have no problem checking clutch packs.
    ATSG manual is very helpful.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/722.6.pdf
    Last edited by Detroit Gearbox; 05-22-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Thread Information