Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You are liable for your car even at the dealership for service

Default You are liable for your car even at the dealership for service

Interesting case.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/why...ing-oil-change

Cliff notes;
    Guy takes his jeep to dealer for oil change. He is sitting in lobby.
    Tech who can’t drive a stick hits & kills another tech who just happens to be there.
    Family of the deceased is receiving some worker’s comp benefits.
    Family of the deceased can’t sue the dealer. Injured worker can't sue boss for negligence.
    Family of the deceased can sue the jeep owner because you are liable for your car if you let someone drive it.
    Owner of jeep can sue the dealership
    Worker’s Comp is in line to get reimbursed from whoever wins.

I Drag Race Because It's Fun, Not Because I'm Good At It.

Yeah, I saw that on Steve Lehto's youtube discussing this thing. It's messed up on so many levels. On note 2, Not only could he not drive stick, I think it was mentioned he did not have a valid license.

I have never worked in a dealership that didn't require all employees to have a valid license (for insurance purposes).

Also, this entire situation is horrible. Can the car owner then counter-sue the dealership for letting someone illegally operate their vehicle?

This last batch of Michigan auto laws that took effect is a total cluster fuck. You can tell the insurance industry wrote the laws.
    Currently dealing with insurance/hospitable invoices, keep getting different answers from the insurance company/s.. liability keeps getting switched.

So let's say you give your keys to a person, then that person gives the keys to someone else, isn't that considered grand theft auto?

Solution: Do your own oil changes! I am an old man with two artificial knees and I still do mine. fact is, the oil change guy is the bottom of the ladder at the dealeship most likely. Maybe not even an actual certified tech.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Buddy of mine took his Subaru in to an Uncle Ed’s. While changing the engine oil they managed to drain part of the CVT fluid. Instead of admitting it they just refilled it with ATF. Upon startup it made a terrible racket. He got it to the dealer where they flushed the CTV at least 3 times. So far the trans has been fine but Uncle Ed’s has said that they will cover a new trans if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I have never worked in a dealership that didn't require all employees to have a valid license (for insurance purposes).

Also, this entire situation is horrible. Can the car owner then counter-sue the dealership for letting someone illegally operate their vehicle?
    You don’t need a license to operate a car on private property. My 5yo can drive on my land, so nothing was illegal about the tech driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    So let's say you give your keys to a person, then that person gives the keys to someone else, isn't that considered grand theft auto?
    I was thinking about this because he technically gave the keys to the sales rep, who then gave the keys to the techs. I’m guessing in the paperwork you sign it says you give permission for all dealer employees to use the car or something like that.

What a total clusterfuck.

Also I really don’t understand the part about not being able to sue your boss’s boss, that doesn’t make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post

THe insurance company will almost certainly sue the dealers insurance company to recoup there loss.

Thread Information