Thread: Ford C4 Transmission

Default Ford C4 Transmission

Looking for a C4 transmission.

This is for my neighbor's 65 Mustang. Their car no longer goes into park (Im assuming the park pawl broke), reverse doesnt work and the fluid is dark black. They are on a very fixed income so the I am trying to find a cheaper core unit to rebuild or something that is in a good-used condition. Please let me know what you have or if you know of any leads.

1964-66 are green dot transmissions (PRN2D1)
    67-69 is a direct replacement and they shift PRND21
    The early models have a vent tube on the outside/left side near the rear servo (Makes it easy to spot)
    Not common to have problems with park at all. Its either a adjustment or the intermediate band broke, and part of the band is interfering with the linkage.
    If the band is broke the vehicle will have no second gear.
    They did make "in the car" replacement bands at one time. They were called snap bands and you could install one in the vehicle by removing the valve body....
    Finding something used that old that's in good condition will be a needle in the stack. Seals get old and they start to leak from everywhere.

I'll keep my eyes out.

Just yesterday I had to drop the valve body on my 66 C4 because it was leaking from the selector shaft. Easy enough job but way more involved than it should be for 2 pretty simple o-rings.

For as many C4/C6 transmissions there are out there, finding parts locally was a pain.
    1990 GT

Quote Originally Posted by avbcon12 View Post

For as many C4/C6 transmissions there are out there, finding parts locally was a pain.
    I have lots of those items... just about anything for domestic units.... just send me a message... i can always mail anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    I have lots of those items... just about anything for domestic units.... just send me a message... i can always mail anything.
    That's great to know, thanks!
    1990 GT

Thread Information