Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Buying Government I Bonds?

I have all my money on the streets, Vig is 15 points weekly
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

The I bond is about 10% for 6 months. I believe you cannot take it until 5yrs without a withdraw penalty. Also it is 10k per person in your house. So in my case I can toss 40k into ibonds. I have been reading a lot of fear about buying bonds lately. The major banks all stopped buying them and also something about if ww3 breaks out the bonds could not be guaranteed. Something like that anyways.

The interest is actually zero.... since it matches inflation.

You can cash in (redeem) your I bond after 12 months.

However, if you cash in the bond in less than 5 years, you lose the last 3 months of interest. For example, if you cash in the bond after 18 months, you get the first 15 months of interest.
    After five years, Savings Bonds can be cashed in without an interest penalty. Keep an eye on the real rates on marketable Treasury inflation-protected securities. If TIPS yields, now negative, climb into positive territory, cash in your I bond, pay the damn tax on your phantom income from inflation adjustments and invest what’s left in a TIPS fund that can go in your brokerage account.

It's an inflation-protected way to store your emergency fund, or a way for rich people to rich people it.

Yes, it's worth using.

Like I said, it's great for storing your emergency fund for the common family.

Quote Originally Posted by picturethis View Post
    2.35% interest is pretty typical these days....... Hey Boomers get out of the stone ages, Discos Dead !!!

get yourself online only bank
    First off, disco is awesome! Second, where do you get cash (past the ATM limit) when you need it if you keep your money online? Do you have two sets of accounts? The thought has occurred to me though - I need an account that I can handle online transactions and I would prefer to keep my main bank account separate from fucking paypal.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Who uses Cash ?? ......... Forgot about going to the titty bar.
    Yes you still need a local bank that has cash . Some online banks have ATMs .
    To me its worth it to have 2 accounts. Since this thread started my online banks APY went to 3%
    Check out Citizens Access

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    The I bond is about 10% for 6 months. I believe you cannot take it until 5yrs without a withdraw penalty. Also it is 10k per person in your house. So in my case I can toss 40k into ibonds. I have been reading a lot of fear about buying bonds lately. The major banks all stopped buying them and also something about if ww3 breaks out the bonds could not be guaranteed. Something like that anyways.
    1 year and 1 day without penalty.

Forum Member

all im guna say is becareful

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    1 year and 1 day without penalty.
    False, if you pull the money out before 5 years, you don't get the last 3 months of interest. So if you pull the money out at 1 year and 1 day, you only get the first 9 months of interest. FYI

Thread Information