Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any V8 Colorado/Canyon Experience?

Default Any V8 Colorado/Canyon Experience?

Since the days of cheap truck leases seem to be ending, I am looking at buying something. Not interested in buying out my lease for $34,500 plus tax (if anyone is interested in it PM me - 2020 Silverado V8 4WD 14k miles nice options). If I spend $500 a month on a lease, that is $18,000 over three years - plus repairs I know! - but insurance should be cheaper in order to offset fixing it. It is the third vehicle in my household, with my Camaro being a 9 month driver, and my wife will still lease a new SUV every couple years for reliable winter transpo. With work from home, even though we have to start going in three days a week, it becomes less important to have a full time driver, so I might as well take advantage and get something to have some fun with!

I always wanted one of the V8 last gen Colorados. I see them going in the $15-20k range both 2WD and 4WD. Saw a few warnings about trans issues but nothing specific. I figure that Darko can probably get me a motor if I have issues - the 5.3 motor is plentiful, and Jegs even sells reman short blocks. Was thinking of 2WD too, just to save repair issues that come with 4WD. I am fine getting snow tires and running 2WD in winter - I drove my 2012 Camaro in the winter for two years with snow tires with no issues, so I am not worried. Anyone ever have one of these? just looking for some experience - they are a bit rare, but they are available.

Tx.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I looked into them briefly before I bought my Ram. I didn't "need" a full size truck. But something that would haul the kids and my bikes (in the bed or hook my trailer to it) was my main interest. Unfortunately I found them to cost close to if not as much as a full size truck depending on options/condition. They're a standard 5.3 LS based with 4L60E combo. The one I test drove I found to feel "cramped" (I'm 5'11" 240 lbs for reference) in the driver seat. Not something I couldn't get used to, but wasn't reassuring if I had the kids in the backseat and possibly had to move my seat forward. Knowing they're based along the same class as the S10/Sonoma platform I thought it'd be perfect as I loved my S series trucks. My opinion is to go check one out (even if it's a 3.5 model) to give you an idea of it's size. The 5.3 model won't let you down as long as it's been maintained properly. I was between a 5.3 Colorado, Sierra, F150 and Ram. I finally set my focus on a Ram after driving all 4.
    -Ryan-

91 Slow'noma - 14 Cruze Diesel - 16 Ram 1500 Limited
    16 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - 18 GasGas TXT300GP

Forum Member

I honestly never knew there was a V8 Colorado option.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstfox View Post
    The one I test drove I found to feel "cramped" (I'm 5'11" 240 lbs for reference) in the driver seat. Not something I couldn't get used to, but wasn't reassuring if I had the kids in the backseat and possibly had to move my seat forward. Knowing they're based along the same class as the S10/Sonoma platform I thought it'd be perfect as I loved my S series trucks
    Good point Ryan on size, I am 6'4" so I need to get some seat time. I spent a few months working on the more recent (not the brand new) Colorado and didn't have any issues, but I think they are a little bit bigger than the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    I honestly never knew there was a V8 Colorado option.
    LOL. Yea, it flew under the radar! It's not that I want to race it, is is just that I am pretty familiar with the platform and I still have a ton of random parts laying around for it. From a horsepower standpoint, the current V6 is rated 8 more than the 5.3, but I think having an LS based V8 would be more "Fun".

-Geoff

About a month ago I bought a 2011 GMC Canyon 4wd crew cab with the 5.3. I bought it with a bad transmission. I had the trans rebuilt and have had it back on the road for about a week now. At first wasn't crazy about it. But it's definitely growing on me. Pro's I like the size, handles good, has plenty of power for everyday driving. Con maybe it's just me but the A post seem kind of big causing a blind spot. The rear seats are high back non removable headrest they block most of the rear window. Like I said I'm getting more used to it and like it more and more everyday. Geoff I'm in Clinton township if you want to take it for a drive and see what you think of it.

I think the 5.3L was only offered in 2009-2011 model years.

Last edited by capone; 01-04-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capone View Post
    About a month ago I bought a 2011 GMC Canyon 4wd crew cab with the 5.3. I bought it with a bad transmission. I had the trans rebuilt and have had it back on the road for about a week now. At first wasn't crazy about it. But it's definitely growing on me. Pro's I like the size, handles good, has plenty of power for everyday driving. Con maybe it's just me but the A post seem kind of big causing a blind spot. The rear seats are high back non removable headrest they block most of the rear window. Like I said I'm getting more used to it and like it more and more everyday. Geoff I'm in Clinton township if you want to take it for a drive and see what you think of it.
    Awesome find - I would love to get a runner like that as a project! That truck looks good too! Thank you for the offer on checking it out - I will let you know, my lease isn't up until May. Just trying to get a plan together.

As far as the visibility - after driving my Camaro with the "Pill box" view, I think anything will be an improvement!

-Geoff

Forum Member

We really screw the pooch on marketing some of these things. A 5.3L in one of those would be a riot. I am a big fan of the 5.3 - I have (2) GMT800 SUV's and they just keep on going.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    We really screw the pooch on marketing some of these things. A 5.3L in one of those would be a riot. I am a big fan of the 5.3 - I have (2) GMT800 SUV's and they just keep on going.
    It didn't help that GM declared bankruptcy during the production run...

-Geoff

Found this one on Autotrader, most of them seem to be in the $20k range. Crazy. Still cheaper than a three year lease on a 2023 Silverado though!

-Geoff

co53.jpg

I feel cramped in them. The floor seems to high. I’m kinda looking for a Saab 9-7x 5.3/6.0!!!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Thread Information