Thread: Steal car, then taunt it's owner on social media

Forum Member

Default Steal car, then taunt it's owner on social media

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...-social-media/

Having your car stolen by thieves is bad enough, but a Dodge Charger Scat Pack owner in Detroit had to afterward endure taunting messages sent through social media. That’s right, this could become the start of a new trend where the scumbags who swiped your ride then try to extract money out of your for its return by mocking you on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

Learn how one man is using a drone to fight car theft here.

Our first thought after seeing this report out of Detroit was that only a sucker would send money to car thieves believing they would be honest enough to give the Mopar muscle car back. Thankfully, the victim in the report, who was only identified as “Brandon,” didn’t fall for it.

After taking the Scat Pack from Brandon’s driveway, the thieves looked him up on social media, sending him several videos of the Dodge being driven hard. After getting his attention, the thieves said if Brandon sent $3,000 they would give the muscle car back.

Like so many, Brandon turned to the internet for help. Groups exist on different social media platforms where former and current car theft victims help track down stolen vehicles. Someone told Brandon they spotted his Charger Scat Pack on Detroit’s west side. However, the police said they couldn’t go onto private property searching for it.

Frustrated, Brandon went in the dead of night and took his Dodge back with the help of a couple of friends. Ultimately, the only real damage was a broken rear window. Brandon, who was happy to have his beloved ride back, was asked by the local reporter if he was concerned the thieves might come back to take his Dodge Charger Scat Pack again. “They do know where I live, but at the same time, I’m not really worried about it,” Brandon said. “I have the means to defend my home when it comes down to the situation.”

Who do those guys think they are - Detroit Police?

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

They are getting pretty brazen.

It looks like they have zero fear of the law.

Forum Member

Great story, but what I can't understand is why he'd go get it back himself, unless it was uninsured.

Me? I'm pissed at the thieves, but I pay for insurance for a reason and will take the payout and move on with my life. Best case scenario I get my car back and have to sort through whatever issues were caused by the theft and subsequent abuse. Worst case, I die trying to recover it myself.

Neither sound good to me. If, God forbid, one of my vehicles was stolen my hope would be I'd never see it again.

That all being said, I do love the unusual outcome of the story.

I agree Atrus

I think Trbobuick had a similar thing happen to him. Somebody stole his minivan, and I have no idea how, but he found it down by Wayne State. Snuck down there in the evening and drove it home. His door key still worked!

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    They are getting pretty brazen.

It looks like they have zero fear of the law.
    It’s Detroit…shoot the thieves! The cops already told you they aren’t going looking for anything on private property, lol
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Thread Information