Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No snow post?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I hear you on that procrastination. Mine was in may basement flood a couple summers ago and I still don't have it back together. I did buy a new carb for it though! When we had the ice storm, all I could think is that we would lose power and I would be getting "The Look" from my wife.

-Geoff

My neighbor has this really nice new stand-by power generator ..........

just sitting in his pole barn! He hadn't gotten around to pouring the slab to mount it on!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post

just sitting in his pole barn! He hadn't gotten around to pouring the slab to mount it on!
    LOL, he is DEFINITELY getting the look from his wife. If he's single, he's going to be giving it to himself in a mirror.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

All it took was one time for my parents to have to empty their frig and freezer when they lost power when they were on vacation for 2 weeks. So once they got their new place all done the way they wanted they made the investment for the stand by generator. Things quiet as heck too. It does a "maintenance" start and idle every so often, the central air unit is louder than the generator.
    -Ryan-

91 Slow'noma - 14 Cruze Diesel - 16 Ram 1500 Limited
    16 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - 18 GasGas TXT300GP

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstfox View Post
    All it took was one time for my parents to have to empty their frig and freezer when they lost power when they were on vacation for 2 weeks. So once they got their new place all done the way they wanted they made the investment for the stand by generator. Things quiet as heck too. It does a "maintenance" start and idle every so often, the central air unit is louder than the generator.

My other neighbor stopped by to help with my tree work & said his
    mothers stand by generator did it's weekly "maintenance" start and idle
    on Tuesday - then DIDN"T run after the power went off from the ice storm!

My other neighbor stopped by to help with my tree work & said his
    mothers stand by generator did it's weekly "maintenance" start and idle
    on Tuesday - then DIDN"T run after the power went off from the ice storm!
    That's never good news. I'm not familiar with the systems but I'm guessing it's possible to manual start/run them. But definitely needs to start automatically during a power loss.
    -Ryan-

91 Slow'noma - 14 Cruze Diesel - 16 Ram 1500 Limited
    16 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - 18 GasGas TXT300GP

Forum Member

I thought about it, but opted for a large 10kw portable. Reason being, the maintenance and complexity of the whole house, plus I am only on a 120 gallon propane tank and I was afraid it'd really just burn through that thing quickly. The portable I have required no permits and was much cheaper overall.

If I were on natural gas, I probably would have leaned towards a whole house generator.

The natural gas stand by units are just so much money... $4000-$5000 for just the unit, then the switch panel. My gas powered unit I back feed to the house was like $300 used and will power the water well, furnace, fridges, wifi and a computer and TV easily. I normally have plenty of fuel in the barn, so unless we need to run for several weeks we are ok. Only kicker would be if I'm out of town, the wife can't set it up.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ultradriver10000 View Post
    The natural gas stand by units are just so much money... $4000-$5000 for just the unit, then the switch panel. My gas powered unit I back feed to the house was like $300 used and will power the water well, furnace, fridges, wifi and a computer and TV easily. I normally have plenty of fuel in the barn, so unless we need to run for several weeks we are ok. Only kicker would be if I'm out of town, the wife can't set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    I thought about it, but opted for a large 10kw portable. Reason being, the maintenance and complexity of the whole house, plus I am only on a 120 gallon propane tank and I was afraid it'd really just burn through that thing quickly. The portable I have required no permits and was much cheaper overall.

If I were on natural gas, I probably would have leaned towards a whole house generator.

Those are the reasons I have a large portable with a direct back-feed to my fuse panel.
    been using this set up for 23 years.

Back-up Power .jpg

For about $3500 you can get a natural gas/propane 10kw generator with a 200a smart automatic transfer switch (smart meaning it can tell your AC unit to turn off if frequency drops). It's kind of a bargain.

I have a bunch of generators. I mostly use my 7kw inverter generator these days. It's big enough to run the whole house (all electric) as long as no two big things are running at the same time (range and water heater for example). I recommend an ATS so you can go back to utility power as soon as you want instead of loading up your generator... regardless of whether you have a portable or standby generator. A non-service-rated 200a ATS is about $600. They also prevent stupid from happening.

Forum Member

$350 used generator
    $80 25’ extension cord
    $20 power inlet box
    $90 romax
    $25 circuit breaker
    $67 circuit breaker lockout, physically can’t have generator back feed breaker and main breaker engaged at same time MUST HAVE

Runs the entire house for 14 hours on 5 gallons of gas

Thread Information