Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero turn hook up?

Default Zero turn hook up?

I'm on 5 acres, I purchased my neighbors house on 2 acres and I'm going to start cutting my elderly neighbor's 1 acre. I've been milking an old cub cadet Z50 for the past two years and its time for something new.

Thinking 60" and at least 24hp. It needs to be comfortable and durable, as I'll plan on keeping it forever. I'm thinking along the lines of a Scag, Kobota, Bobcat, Toro, exmark, hustler, etc. I don't mind paying for a decent unit and fully expect to be spending around $10+/-K for a nice unit. Any recommendations? Anyone got a hook up? My buddy's has a Kubota dealer so he is getting me some prices on a 400/700 series.

Any tips would be great.

I sent you a PM. I have a low hour, 60" mower, that is just too much capacity at our new residence.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg87 View Post
    I sent you a PM. I have a low hour, 60" mower, that is just too much capacity at our new residence.
    Your pm's are full. I might be interested.

It's the wheel motors and the engine that matters. So find one with an engine you like and wheel motors that have filters. Everything else is fluff.

I have 800 hours on my Kawasaki 24hp Cub Cadet RZT54, my Dad has 1900 hours on his 21hp Cub Cadet RZT50. I've broken the front axle on mine (welded it back up with some supports), he's wore out his deck and is on his second one. Both of us are on our original motors and wheel motors.

The only other zeroturn I'd consider is one of the few with full suspension. Otherwise everything else is too heavy and expensive.

Cool

I can't recommend purchasing a true commercial mower used.

I have owned a few of the Toro Groundsmaster 300's. This beast
    has a 45 hp Ford 4 cyl motor, weighs 1 ton, 6 foot cut & mows like
    you're driving a car.

New cost is around $23,000, a used one can be found (government
    auction) for around $5000.

Mow with one of these & you're ruined for life, you'll never settle for
    a wimpy mower again!

I'll have a john deere 2240 for sale in a couple weeks with 6-7 different attachments. Not sure yet if one is a mower/brush hog
    1990 GT

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    It's the wheel motors and the engine that matters. So find one with an engine you like and wheel motors that have filters. Everything else is fluff.

I have 800 hours on my Kawasaki 24hp Cub Cadet RZT54, my Dad has 1900 hours on his 21hp Cub Cadet RZT50. I've broken the front axle on mine (welded it back up with some supports), he's wore out his deck and is on his second one. Both of us are on our original motors and wheel motors.

The only other zeroturn I'd consider is one of the few with full suspension. Otherwise everything else is too heavy and expensive.
    Honestly, I beat the snot out of my rzt50 but I’m going to need a second deck and I figured the more commercial grade ones would last longer and be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by avbcon12 View Post
    I'll have a john deere 2240 for sale in a couple weeks with 6-7 different attachments. Not sure yet if one is a mower/brush hog
    I don’t need tractor, I need to mow quickly! I tried using a 72” belly mower on an older Deere I had and it takes way longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    I can't recommend purchasing a true commercial mower used.

I have owned a few of the Toro Groundsmaster 300's. This beast
    has a 45 hp Ford 4 cyl motor, weighs 1 ton, 6 foot cut & mows like
    you're driving a car.

New cost is around $23,000, a used one can be found (government
    auction) for around $5000.

Mow with one of these & you're ruined for life, you'll never settle for
    a wimpy mower again!

I’ve thought about one of those. Maybe I’ll keep looking haha

Quote Originally Posted by ultradriver10000 View Post
    Honestly, I beat the snot out of my rzt50 but I’m going to need a second deck and I figured the more commercial grade ones would last longer and be more comfortable.
    So most of the commercial ones are heavy as fuck. Everything about them is usually heavy. So they leave ruts everywhere. They usually get stuck easy. You can help with getting stuck by running trencher tires. Depending on your soil, you may be able to get away with trencher tires anyway because they are actually a little easier on grass because you don't usually drag tires.

None of them ride any better until you get a full suspension. The best you can usually do is find a softer tire that is 22" or taller with an 8" diameter wheel.

I don't know if Simplicity still has the patent or not on full suspension. Some mask the bad ride with a suspension seat, but it still beats the shit out of the mower and makes the lawn look choppy.

Have you considered planting trees and reforesting some of it?

Love our 23hp bobcat. It’s about 20 years old now
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    So most of the commercial ones are heavy as fuck. Everything about them is usually heavy. So they leave ruts everywhere. They usually get stuck easy. You can help with getting stuck by running trencher tires. Depending on your soil, you may be able to get away with trencher tires anyway because they are actually a little easier on grass because you don't usually drag tires.

None of them ride any better until you get a full suspension. The best you can usually do is find a softer tire that is 22" or taller with an 8" diameter wheel.

I don't know if Simplicity still has the patent or not on full suspension. Some mask the bad ride with a suspension seat, but it still beats the shit out of the mower and makes the lawn look choppy.

Have you considered planting trees and reforesting some of it?
    Yeah, I've planted some trees, plan on planting some more fruit trees.. but that'll take years to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Love our 23hp bobcat. It’s about 20 years old now
    Great to know!

Thread Information