Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car or Truck Sucks Right Now!

Default Buying a Car or Truck Sucks Right Now!

Is it just me? It sure seems like it generally sucks for everyone. Maybe I am just being a boomer again. I don't know!

First one, I ordered a new Camaro six weeks ago. Not a word since I put it in, appears they are handing out allocations to dealers like they are Faberge Eggs. GM announces yesterday that the Camaro is going out of production next January because of poor sales. That's funny, then why isn't my order being built yet? Seems like there is demand they are just ignoring it. And don't get me started that the Challenger gets 1000 hp, and the Camaro gets a sticker package teased...

Second. Wife has a Lincoln Nautilus lease that ends in a month. Nice truck. Go back to the dealer, we can't find our sales guy so we leave a message. Sales guy literally won't return our call - it's been a month! Call a different sales guy, nothing. Go up to Suburban Ford where we leased an Edge a couple years ago, he tells me that you have to order anything you want to lease, that he has no inventory. Nothing on the lot. Their website says they have 100 Explorers in inventory, but he says we can't get an Explorer unless we order it. He also says that the $1000 incentive only applies to orders which I am pretty sure is a lie. It is probably true if you count that every car on their lot has a $1000 bullshit fabric protection package on it. Needless to say, we are going to order an Explorer on Saturday. I told her I want the A-pillar spotlights...

Third, my truck lease ends in May. To replace it with the same truck I have, the price would almost double and you have to order if you want a V8. WTF? Oh, we can get a a 4 cylinder truck with a heated bench seat for $450 a month. Pass. But they are shutting Fort Wayne for two weeks to keep inventory down, so no chance of getting anything any cheaper. So I start looking at used stuff, and it is just as ridiculous. Literally anything with decent option content under $20k is a rust bucket or has 150k+ miles. The market has gone insane. I looked at a 2WD Colorado V8 but the guy wouldn't budge at $17k. I thought he was crazy, but the truck sold in a week. So the only plan here is to extend my current lease since the wife needs something to drive until her Explorer is built (hopefully she doesn't get the tires slashed parking in the lot at Dearborn Truck). So this can just gets kicked six months down the road.

So yea, buying vehicles sucks right now. Unless you are a lotto winner I guess...

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

So you're saying it may be a good time for me to sell my truck!

Quote Originally Posted by furian76 View Post
    So you're saying it may be a good time for me to sell my truck!
    As long as you don't have to replace it!

Forum Member

It certainly does. I want to off my WK1 for something more fuel efficient, but the problem is even for a 15 year old Impala, people want stupid money for a rust bucket. My WK is pretty damn clean, all things considering.

So, I threw it up on Marketplace for a price I'd be happy with. It it sells, great, if not, I'll just keep it.

We do need something newer....old man has a '21 Ram 1500 Longhorn2 lease that I may buy out next summer. He used it only to tow a travel trailer for summer trips. I don't think it's ever seen salt, it just sits outside all winter. He's way under on miles. I think his buyout is just shy of $32k. I can't really turn that down, considering what new and clapped out used trucks are costing right now.

It sucks right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    It certainly does. I want to off my WK1 for something more fuel efficient, but the problem is even for a 15 year old Impala, people want stupid money for a rust bucket. My WK is pretty damn clean, all things considering.

So, I threw it up on Marketplace for a price I'd be happy with. It it sells, great, if not, I'll just keep it.

We do need something newer....old man has a '21 Ram 1500 Longhorn2 lease that I may buy out next summer. He used it only to tow a travel trailer for summer trips. I don't think it's ever seen salt, it just sits outside all winter. He's way under on miles. I think his buyout is just shy of $32k. I can't really turn that down, considering what new and clapped out used trucks are costing right now.

It sucks right now.
    The buy on my truck is $34.5k plus tax. It's nice but not a forever truck. I was hoping to get something under $20k. Now I am hoping to get something for under $27k. It's crazy.

-Geoff

correct me if Im wrong... does 91Trunk still sell cars

shameless plug ... a friend of mine is at Lincoln of Troy .. Rich Wolf ...He also is affiliated with Mission Ford in Dearborn 734-812-1125 he's always bragging he can deliver
    Last edited by derbydad276; 03-23-2023 at 01:44 PM.
    Driven Crazy

Forum Member

They didn't directly say it yesterday, but one would have to assume that Camaro just doesn't fit GM's near term EV portfolio plan. EV's cost $$$$. Buyers are going to expect Caddy level trim for that $$$$. Until GM's EV plans include releasing a cheaper/value performance EV... not sure there is a place for Camaro. Buyers loaded with cash and want perf would buy the Corvette EV. Like Tesla, GM is starting their EV journey with higher end ($$$$) offerings.

Same with all of the upcoming layoffs. They didn't say it directly, but I'm sure that will be mostly focused on engineering & manufacturing ICE employees... making room in the workforce for EV SMEs. Yes, a bit from all teams will be taken, but I'd expect the bulk hitting ICE jobs.

Here you go they still make this ram body style alsoIMG_4869.jpeg
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Wish I could find a Chevy that cheap. For $25k you get a 2014 with 100k miles.

-Geoff

I just priced out leases for my sister for base 1500 pickups. Almost 600 a month for 3 year lease. Priced the ram and the Silverado. Insane.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Thread Information