Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car or Truck Sucks Right Now!

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    I just priced out leases for my sister for base 1500 pickups. Almost 600 a month for 3 year lease. Priced the ram and the Silverado. Insane.
    The best Silverado employee price is $440 for a 2FL which is a base crew cab truck with heated seats and heated steering wheel. I do the math on a three year lease - 440 x 12 x 3 - and get almost $16k for a three year lease. So if I lease twice it is $32k. I am thinking I can spend $10k less and get six years from something used. I am a cheap mother fucker, though, so maybe that is not for everyone. I am only putting 5000 miles a year on my truck since Covid, even going back to the office, so I don't need big miles. Maybe I'll just get some snow tires for the Camaro...

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

thats why I bought out my lease. The cost of the same truck was like 8k more and almost double the lease payment
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    thats why I bought out my lease. The cost of the same truck was like 8k more and almost double the lease payment
    I’m buying her expiring lease. 2020 Silverado 6.2l RST. She wants another but can’t afford it. I’ve finally talked her into something smaller for a couple year lease.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I am only putting 5000 miles a year on my truck since Covid, even going back to the office, so I don't need big miles.
    -Geoff
    That's one of the reasons I purchased my '21 Yukon and you may want to figure into your calculations. I used to be a 20k mile/year driver. Post-Covid, I'm 4-5k/year. Most low mileage leases are 10-12k/year, std lease is 15k/year. Buying the vehicle gives me flexibility in driving consumption, and the car is worth more whenever I go to sell it if/when it has less miles. With how dynamic remote work situations are for some of us, it's hard to forecast miles. Unused miles is like buring cash.

Forum Member

I really love my GMT800's and am heavily tempted to seek out a nice southern 4x4 SUV. I don't care about mileage, I just want the chassis and body to be rust-free. I've also had my eye on GM 2000-2010 V6 sedans (like 3.5L/3.9L Impala, etc).

GM made about eleventy billion of those vehicles, you trip over parts at the junkyard, and I can pretty easily maintain those as they are relatively simple. IMO, they are also just modern enough to have the amenities I want.

I realize I work for an OE, but I am not getting on his hampster wheel of insane costs. The reality is I live in the rust belt on a dirt road with 3 messy ankle biters. I beat the piss out of my vehicles. I feel much better beating the piss out of a $10k vehicle than I do a $60k vehicle. Rust will take my current 800's before mechanical failure does.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Nice Larry! I have been looking at 2014 and 2015 Silverado's in the low $20k range. I found a GMC with 206k miles for $16,500 that looks tempting too. In GR I found a "Texas Edition" Silverado, which means it at least started it's life in Texas. Gotta watch some of these 10 year old trucks for rust too.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 03-24-2023 at 09:39 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Unhappy

You really want an exercise in futility, try buying a used 3/4 ton anything!

I've been hunting for months, I have come close, but like a lot of you guys
    I have to simply pay more if I expect to get something ....... a lot more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I found a GMC with 206k miles for $16,500 that looks tempting too.
    Isn't that insane though? I know these things can last a long time, but $16,500 for a used truck with over two hundred thousand miles on it?

Maybe this is just me getting old and out of touch with pricing. I remember my old man being surprised when I bought my first car, a very ratty '86 Firebird V6, for $1400 back in 1996. He was surprised it was worth that.

Market is totally fucked right now. Just about the only car's you can get on the cheap are used Panthers. Buy a clean low mileage grand marquis and drive it for the next 5 years on the cheap. Toss a trailer hitch on them and they can pull as much as a truck.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-4ac2d90b5302

Thread Information