Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car or Truck Sucks Right Now!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    I'm not sure, but there is a difference. The resale values are beginning
    to reflect this as well. Perhaps check with with a motor or trans shop and
    ask them about the number of Chevy trucks above & below the 2015's?

I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this.
    In 2014 they still made the old GMT900 truck under the "Classic" badge as the new K2xx had just come out with the L83. That is probably the difference you guys are seeing.

I have had a couple leases with that engine and thought they were great - I think it is the first year DI engine for the trucks. I did look at shortblocks and they are readily available from junkyards, but they are on backorder at the dealerships. So I am not sure if that is a good or bad sign. I found a 2WD 6.2 2015 at a dealer locally, but the thing was rear ended and poorly repaired. The wheelhouse liner was too short for the wheel opening and the tailgate didn't lower without a push. Honestly, that one is still on the short list though.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 03-25-2023 at 09:04 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I have one of the first GM K2xx with the L86/8L90e. Mine is early enough it still has cast aluminum control arms. Build date is May 2015.

It has had a converter twice and a reaction shell. VLOM and lifters. 4 radiators. All under warranty.

GM really shouldn't have taken a ZF transmission meant for 200hp300ftlb minivans and expected it to move a 420hp/460ftlb sheet of plywood down the road without problems. The torque converter clutch was clearly grotesquely undersized. Honestly, what did you think would happen with an engine that makes more than 400ftlbs of torque at 1200rpm... which is the speed of the engine at 45mph... and the aero package of a parachute?

I did injectors on my own dime. 12 oil changes. 1 air filter. 100k on it now. One set of brakes. Just put my second set of Duratracs on it. No body rust yet, and it has its 8th birthday here pretty quick.

My wife's Equinox I had to do injectors also... at 60k. Fucking cheap-ass Hitachi chineseum injectors.

I've been looking at new and used vehicles for a while now. The prices are not in alignment with reality. If you can wait until mid-summer I think reality will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    I had a 16 Sierra SLT and loved it. 5.3l with the 6 speed. With the 18" wheels it rode nicer then the Denali.

I would look down south. Away from the ocean. Trucks are clean as hell. Paint fade is the issue down there.
    I would love to get something from Texas, but the logistics are hard to overcome when it is a day and a half drive each way. I have found some "Texas Edition" trucks up here, and those are generally from Texas (they called it the All-Star edition" up here), so that is promising. But I agree Andy, the generation of trucks you are talking about is pretty good - that 5.3 was a great motor from what I remember. There are a TON of them still on the road with 100k miles plus, too.

-Geoff

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I would love to get something from Texas, but the logistics are hard to overcome when it is a day and a half drive each way. I have found some "Texas Edition" trucks up here, and those are generally from Texas (they called it the All-Star edition" up here), so that is promising. But I agree Andy, the generation of trucks you are talking about is pretty good - that 5.3 was a great motor from what I remember. There are a TON of them still on the road with 100k miles plus, too.

-Geoff
    You don't drive both ways, I have been looking at southern trucks
    and sticking to the larger cities so I can fly in & drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnCobra View Post
    2014+ half tons are a different engine. 3/4 & 1 ton switched bodies in 2015 but I'm not sure if new engines followed in them as well or not. Engine are "LT" series vs LS series, but all the same displacements. They have direct injection on them. Buddy had a 2015 at one point and is well versed. This was his response when I asked about those trucks couple months ago.
    Maybe I’m just lucky, my 2015 has only had oil, tires and brakes done it, it tows a 37’ trailer and it’s been beaten up on the sand dunes. Little rust on the under carriage but the body is free from rust. I hesitate to get a new truck. My brother in law picked up a new f150 and they are already replacing the engine with less than 10k on it. He put 300k on his 250 prior to that

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    You don't drive both ways, I have been looking at southern trucks
    and sticking to the larger cities so I can fly in & drive home.
    Yea, I think sticking to reputable dealers helps too. Seems like the Chevy dealers get a premium, though, unfortunately.

-Geoff

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Yea, I think sticking to reputable dealers helps too. Seems like the Chevy dealers get a premium, though, unfortunately.

-Geoff

I don't do dealerships, I strictly shop government auction vehicles.

Of those, here is an local example, most went too high...

https://braunandhelmer.hibid.com/cat...pment-auction/
    Last edited by 4Gas$; 03-25-2023 at 11:44 AM.

duplicate post
    Last edited by wikdsvt; 03-27-2023 at 07:38 AM.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

1. it's like the manufacturers are forcing us to buy fuel efficient/electric cars
    2. my 2022 GMC Sierra with a 4 banger, 2.7 Turbo makes 430 trq. It's a lease, so I am not worried about keeping it, but if you aren't towing the turbo 4 now, makes a ton more power than the 350 from yester-year.
    3. Time to find a 15 year old SUV/Truck from AZ, restore it and drive that.
    4. F all these electronics.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

pretty much the reason I'm completely going through my GMT800, getting it ready for paint, then going through the interior, then it will be time for the drivetrain

still cheaper than a payment
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Thread Information