Thread: 2018 f150 transmission

Default 2018 f150 transmission

My '18 F150 has recently started searching for the right gear, or slowly shifting into the next gear, or slamming into the next gear. It has 87k on it. From what I've found there might be a software update that can fix it. Any Ford techs in here help me out before I just go into a random dealer?

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
    2.7L/3.5L/5.0L Engine And 10R80 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Shift And/Or Engagement Concerns - Built On Or Before 15-May-2018 18-2274
    07 September 2018

Model:

Ford
    2018 F-150

Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

Description Operation No. Time
    2018 F-150 2.7L/3.5L/5.0L: Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 182274A 0.3 Hrs.
    Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part: RECAL
    Condition Code: 04

Service Procedure

1. Check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 15-May-2018?

(1). Yes - reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using the latest version of the appropriate Ford scan tool.

• NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

(2). No - this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01 for normal diagnostics.
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Thread Information