Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Place to Sell a Project Car?

Default Best Place to Sell a Project Car?

I have owned this car since 1987 (the one UNDER the hoist!). The truth is that I am never going to restore it. I have the money, but I don't have the time, energy, or patience. I just have more fun in a faster, new Camaro convertible than I think I could ever have in this car again. Assuming, of course, my car ever gets delivered from Lansing - it has been complete for 7 weeks now, waiting for dispatch to the dealer.

Is there a site that specializes in cars like this? And how much is it even worth? The most valuable part of it is the interior - an original factory Recaro seat setup. Those are probably worth a few thousand to a 2nd gen builder, but how much is the rest worth? It is a 2000 made special edition pretty much rust free (not including light surface rust) except where someone chiseled out the door lock on the pass side. It is all original except for tire and wheels. It had some 15's when I bought it but they were those crazy uni lugs which I believe are illegal now.

I see them selling at auction (all fixed up of course) from low $20k's to mid $30ks. Should I just put it out at $10k and get some offers? There was a much better condition one on Bring-a-Trailer in 2019 and it didn't even get reserve - bid up to $12k. It seems like the pro touring versions with LS swaps get in the 30's though.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

-Geoff

Attachment 87796
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

pm sent
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Sorry, here is a pic. I am going to pull it out and start cleaning it up, so not many good pics right now. It is an 81 Turbo-Tans-Am Nascar Pace Car - 2000 made. The body is pretty solid. The underbody should be super clean since it leaked oil since I owned it in the 80s.

-Geoff

stack.jpg

Cool

That 301 turbo was never very sought after, not like the 6.6 shaker anyways.
    But, like you said, it's rare & still a very desirable car.

Condition is really going to sell that car, along with the right price. It's an
    odd ball, but a good odd ball.

I believe you have the right idea, offer the car in its best light, start high (but
    not too high) and see what happens. Great photos & a really good ad will find
    that car a new home!

"1981 Turbo-Tans-Am Nascar Pace Car - Barn Find - Same owner since the 1980's.
    has been in storage since 1987. Rare - only 2,000 of these special editions Pontiac's were built.

The interior has the original factory Recaro seats option, the body is pretty solid.
    This is a great investment & candidate for a complete restoration. Settling estate
    and offering this rare collectable car for only $9,950."

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    That 301 turbo was never very sought after, not like the 6.6 shaker anyways.
    But, like you said, it's rare & still a very desirable car.

Condition is really going to sell that car, along with the right price. It's an
    odd ball, but a good odd ball.

I believe you have the right idea, offer the car in its best light, start high (but
    not too high) and see what happens. Great photos & a really good ad will find
    that car a new home!

"1981 Turbo-Tans-Am Nascar Pace Car - Barn Find - Same owner since the 1980's.
    has been in storage since 1987. Rare - only 2,000 of these special editions Pontiac's were built.

The interior has the original factory Recaro seats option, the body is pretty solid.
    This is a great investment & candidate for a complete restoration. Settling estate
    and offering this rare collectable car for only $9,950."

Thank you Bill! I will definitely contact you about word-smithing the ad if it comes to that! I heard that on bring-a-trailer they actually write the ad for you. Yea, terms of collectability, nobody really seems to care if it has the 301 turbo in it. Pretty much a footnote in the history of Pontiac motors (I think it may have been the last Pontiac designed motor actually).

It's funny, when you go look on bring-a-trailer, there are a half dozen 81 turbos like mine, and at least a dozen of the 80 version. The ones with LS swaps go for about $10k more than the ones that still have the 301. One of the reasons I never rebuilt the 301 is that I couldn't justify $5000+ to rebuild a 200 hp motor that red-lines at 4500 (the crank has such small counterweights that it almost looks like a cam). I should have built this car 15 years ago instead of my 99 Camaro that I put an LSx 403 in. Back then I still had OEM knees and hips and didn't mind crawling underneath a car for hours on end. No ragrets though!

-Geoff

Clean it up and take lots of pictures, especially from underneath and post it on the Facespace group for uglygen f-bodys. I'm sure someone is looking for an unmolested solid car. I know I'm tired of working on other people's hackjobs for myself but I don't mind getting paid to do it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Thank you Bill! I will definitely contact you about word-smithing the ad if it comes to that! I heard that on bring-a-trailer they actually write the ad for you. Yea, terms of collectability, nobody really seems to care if it has the 301 turbo in it. Pretty much a footnote in the history of Pontiac motors (I think it may have been the last Pontiac designed motor actually).

It's funny, when you go look on bring-a-trailer, there are a half dozen 81 turbos like mine, and at least a dozen of the 80 version. The ones with LS swaps go for about $10k more than the ones that still have the 301. One of the reasons I never rebuilt the 301 is that I couldn't justify $5000+ to rebuild a 200 hp motor that red-lines at 4500 (the crank has such small counterweights that it almost looks like a cam). I should have built this car 15 years ago instead of my 99 Camaro that I put an LSx 403 in. Back then I still had OEM knees and hips and didn't mind crawling underneath a car for hours on end. No ragrets though!

-Geoff

Happy to help buddy!

I don’t think I have your number anymore. If you have mine text me or pm me your number. A guy at work was talking about getting a car like yours. If you are interested.

Text sent - thank you! If nothing else, this will make me get off my butt and clean it up a little - maybe even get it on the hoist. I think the underbody will be what really sells it - need to get some good pics...

-Geoff

Add it to group "Hot Rods and Classics Under$10,000" on facespace
    '88 Camaro IROC-Z Supercharged and Intercooled

Thread Information