Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: December 7th...

Quote Originally Posted by Isoroku Yamamoto's
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."
    Yes you did. We rained down Hell on Earth on those people. I'm just sad to see how far from those days of pride the US has fallen.

We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

I've never been to Pearl Harbor, but I will someday. WWII was my favor war to learn about. I'm am glued to the History channel when they have specials about it.

If I had money like Henry Ford, Lord I’d have me a woman on every road, But someday baby,You ain’t worry my life anymore

People say he's a nice, but they also said that about Ted Bundy

<----Jesus loves you, but I think you're a cunt

Godspeed
    Alex Stoli

2013 Corvette Grand Sport
    1974 Bricklin SV1

Quote Originally Posted by Torxila
    "We're so tough, we vacation in Detroit"

I had a chance to go last summer. It was interesting to see the oil still bubbling up from the ship. Unbelievable. It was definitely a great experience

Club Member

Nick

Ya i wanna go down there god bless those that lost theres lifes ..
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

house project, car project, kid project etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Yes you did. We rained down Hell on Earth on those people. I'm just sad to see how far from those days of pride the US has fallen.

We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

I've never been to Pearl Harbor, but I will someday. WWII was my favor war to learn about. I'm am glued to the History channel when they have specials about it.

well said +1
    God Bless our Troops

That's how I roll.

Quote Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

I had a chance to go last summer. It was interesting to see the oil still bubbling up from the ship. Unbelievable. It was definitely a great experience
    We sailors have a theory that when the last sailor to serve on the Arizona is intered into the old girl, the oil flow will stop.
    motown muscle southern chapter "we find rust free material for the michigan masses"

08 Mustang GT broke but beautiful

99 saturn SL1 with the air box removed for POWER!!!!
    Ford Chrysler or GM it doesent matter to me as long as its domestic.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

agree with all of this...

but, FYI... the "all we've done" quote is a myth.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    agree with all of this...

but, FYI... the "all we've done" quote is a myth.
    Damn. All these years I believed it. Oh well. It sounded good.
    If I had money like Henry Ford, Lord I’d have me a woman on every road, But someday baby,You ain’t worry my life anymore

People say he's a nice, but they also said that about Ted Bundy

<----Jesus loves you, but I think you're a cunt

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Damn. All these years I believed it. Oh well. It sounded good.
    Actually... for as much as people hate on the Japanese because of this... they are in fact a very noble people especially when it comes to war. By most accounts, it appears that the Japanese were in fact, embarassed by the fact that this ended up being a sneak attack, while the countries were still technically at peace.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is portrayed in the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora!, as saying after his attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." The supposed quote was abbreviated in the film Pearl Harbor (2001), where it merely read, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

Neither At Dawn We Slept, written by Gordon Prange, nor The Reluctant Admiral, the definitive biography of Yamamoto in English by Agawa Hiroyu, contain the line.

Randall Wallace, the screenwriter of Pearl Harbor, readily admitted that he copied the line from Tora! Tora! Tora!. The director of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!, Richard Fleischer, stated that while Yamamoto may never have said those words, the film's producer, Elmo Williams, had found the line written in Yamamoto's diary. Williams, in turn, has stated that Larry Forrester, the screenwriter, found a 1943 letter from Yamamoto to the Admiralty in Tokyo containing the quote. However, Forrester cannot produce the letter, nor can anyone else, American or Japanese, recall or find it.

In "The Reluctant Admiral," Hiroyuki Agawa, without a citation, does give a quote from a reply by Admiral Yamamoto to Ogata Taketora on January 9, 1942, which is strikingly similar to the famous version: "A military man can scarcely pride himself on having 'smitten a sleeping enemy'; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten. I would rather you made your appraisal after seeing what the enemy does, since it is certain that, angered and outraged, he will soon launch a determined counterattack."

Yamamoto believed that Japan could not win a protracted war with the United States, and moreover seems to have believed that the Pearl Harbor attack had become a blunder — even though he was the person who came up with the idea of a surprise attack. The Reluctant Admiral relates that "Yamamoto alone" (while all his staff members were celebrating) spent the day after Pearl Harbor "sunk in apparent depression." He is also known to have been upset by the bungling of the Foreign Ministry which led to the attack happening while the countries were technically at peace, thus making the incident an unprovoked sneak attack that would certainly enrage the enemy.

The line serves as a dramatic ending to the attack, and may well have encapsulated some of his real feelings about it, but it has yet to be verified. After the war, a similar rumor disseminated among Occupation insiders that upon learning the attack had been a success, Admiral Yamamoto had said to those around him, "Gentlemen, we have just kicked a rabid dog." (This would have been tactical metaphor, and not intended as an insult, since he was generally fond of America and Americans.)

The other common Yamamoto quote predicting the future outcome of a naval war against the United States ("I can run wild for six months … after that, I have no expectation of success.") is real, and is something he is recorded to have said to a number of different Cabinet members in Japan in the 1940 time period. As it happened, the Battle of Midway, the critical naval battle considered to be the turning point of the war, indeed did occur six months after Pearl Harbor (Midway ended on June 7th, exactly 6 months later).

Similar to the above quote was another quote that, while real, was widely misinterpreted in the US press. Yamamoto, when once asked his opinion on the war, pessimistically said that the only way for Japan to win was to fight the United States until Japan could dictate terms in the White House in Washington. The only way to do this, he argued, was to fight their way to Washington — i.e., Japan would have to conquer the whole of the United States. Yamamoto's meaning was that military victory was impossible, but in the US, his words were recast as a jingoistic boast that he would in fact dictate peace terms at the White House.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Thread Information