Thread: control arm/ball joint question

Default control arm/ball joint question

well i have 87-93 control arms with sn95 ball joints in them, thats the way they were ordered from AJE. i need to use the 87-93 style ball joint, so i got a pair and took them to be replaced...... got the old one out and the new one will not go in. if you have ever had a ball joint out there is a lip about 1/4" wide and 1/4" high that runs around the bottom of the joint.. this lip is what is stopping the ball joint from being pressed in, it hits the "ring" before the press area can contact where it is to be pressed.

NOW on the sn95 joint it looks as if that lip was ground/machined off. has any one had any experience with this? is it ok to grind that down?

Default Well

Hopefully this second set works out for ya - sorry for the p.i.t.a.

The AJE arms use upper balljoints from a 80s vintage dodge truck. Moog part K778 I believe.

What exactly are you trying to figure out??

This is a royal bitch without a doubt. My buddy had similar arms and the balljoints to be pressed in. We ended up grinding them etc... only to find out the arms were longer than factory!

If I could suggest a setup would be th QA1's with them already pressed in. Had mine for a few years now, now problems.

You mentioned you had sn95 balljoints before, now you have to go with the older fox ball joints? I ran QA1 arms for a 79-93, with 96-04 spindles on the balljoints that came in the arms. All I had to do was use a spacer under the lower balljoint nut at the spindle.

Hope this helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwraddr View Post
    The AJE arms use upper balljoints from a 80s vintage dodge truck. Moog part K778 I believe.

What exactly are you trying to figure out??
    got it taken care of. AJE requires a McCoy-something ball joint, not any other will work.....without modification, the outer lip needs to be turned down ( McCoys are manufactured with the smaller lip ) Hoppertech machined a set down for me, that Scott714 hooked me up with

Quote Originally Posted by KING302 View Post
    This is a royal bitch without a doubt. My buddy had similar arms and the balljoints to be pressed in. We ended up grinding them etc... only to find out the arms were longer than factory!

If I could suggest a setup would be th QA1's with them already pressed in. Had mine for a few years now, now problems.

You mentioned you had sn95 balljoints before, now you have to go with the older fox ball joints? I ran QA1 arms for a 79-93, with 96-04 spindles on the balljoints that came in the arms. All I had to do was use a spacer under the lower balljoint nut at the spindle.

Hope this helps some.
    i bought the set up used...CHEAP. it was on a SVO, ordered with fox length control arms and sn95 ball joints, a special order deal. i have 87-93 spindles.

per Anthony Jones, i could have used the ball joints in there, i just had to have the spindles "reamed" .020, with a ball joint reamer.....good luck finding one of those.

Club Member

I have a ball joint reemer. Next time try giving a sponsor a call. I would have loaned it out for a $20 deposit.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    got it taken care of. AJE requires a McCoy-something ball joint, not any other will work.....without modification, the outer lip needs to be turned down ( McCoys are manufactured with the smaller lip ) Hoppertech machined a set down for me, that Scott714 hooked me up with

i bought the set up used...CHEAP. it was on a SVO, ordered with fox length control arms and sn95 ball joints, a special order deal. i have 87-93 spindles.

per Anthony Jones, i could have used the ball joints in there, i just had to have the spindles "reamed" .020, with a ball joint reamer.....good luck finding one of those.

too far to drive.

and i did call a couple sponsors.

and more than 1 pm'ed me and offered help and parts.

and even more members pm'ed offers of help and parts. scott714 was who i took up on his offer

Cool, glad you got it fixed. What about the rear end? LOL

after i couldnt get in touch with you. i traded off my stocker for a strange axle/eaton locker setup

Cool! Let me know if you here of anyone interested, It's taking up room in the garage!! I think I will post it on here today.

Thread Information