Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 275/60/15 DR wheel width

Default 275/60/15 DR wheel width

I plan on running a 275/60/15 this year and was curious if there is a benefit from using a 10" wheel over an 8" wheel. Since it's a radial with a pretty stiff sidewall I can't imagine it would be more stable. I was thinking the benefit would be increasing tread width. Any experiences?

TIA
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

If you are running this on a mustang, the car will be way too light to make that tire work on a 10" rim. It will actually make it too stiff.
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:
    Competition Components (Scott Brown)
    Hutch's Transmission Service (Hutch)
    Monson Racing (Jim Monson)
    Work Turbochargers (Reed Patridge)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    If you are running this on a mustang, the car will be way too light to make that tire work on a 10" rim. It will actually make it too stiff.
    yep, on a mustang. I know you don't like the DR's but I want them for the street. Maybe I'll just save some money and buy 8's.
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

Look at the NMCA Mean Street class...I think they run that combo. Maybe even post over there (or NMRA Factory Stock - they run 10" rims and DR's also, and they work).

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    Look at the NMCA Mean Street class...I think they run that combo. Maybe even post over there (or NMRA Factory Stock - they run 10" rims and DR's also, and they work).
    The FS cars are not really a good example as they do not make much power and they are relatively heavy some weighing in around 3300#. On top of that you are giving an example that is based on drivers that make hundreds of passes a year in an effort to make a tire work for a specific class. Now take a light weight car (3000# or less), add an engine that make some real power, and now you have a severe hooking problem. If there is a power adder involved it would make things a little easier, since the car could leave like a sissy and then pour the power on later in the run.
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

Quote Originally Posted by SVTSINR View Post
    yep, on a mustang. I know you don't like the DR's but I want them for the street. Maybe I'll just save some money and buy 8's.
    Its not that I don't like them in general. I just really hate them for my setup. steep gears, light car, and a manual trans make for a disasterous combo when meshing with a DR, especially when in an N/A situation where maximum HP out of the hole is needed.

Is your car an Auto or a stick? What gearing? whats the weight? Have you thought about a quicktime pro? does it have to be a radial? For easy street driving, the DR's are cool, but most like to stomp it once in a while and thats what cured me of liking them. I matted it once while on the expressway from about 55-60 and when I hit third gear they broke loose and I was nearly perpendicular to the road at ~80mph!!!
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

use a 9" wheel. and keep your little boy in the back seat. that will make sure you keep your head on. dont play on the freeway like steve!

I'm aware of the FS stock class cars. But, just because it might take some work, doesn't mean that it can't be a successfull combo. I decided to buy a 10" wheel so that when I do put slicks on, I don't have to have another set. My car is coming out in the summer with 275/50 DR on a 10" wheel. I didn't even want to go with a 60 series because I wanted the gearing. Mine is also a stick with 4.56 gears, and it will hook just fine with some work.

SVTSINR - If you're just looking for a good street wheel for DR's, then go narrower, if you eventually want to run slicks, I would get at least a 9" as stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    The FS cars are not really a good example as they do not make much power and they are relatively heavy some weighing in around 3300#. On top of that you are giving an example that is based on drivers that make hundreds of passes a year in an effort to make a tire work for a specific class. Now take a light weight car (3000# or less), add an engine that make some real power, and now you have a severe hooking problem. If there is a power adder involved it would make things a little easier, since the car could leave like a sissy and then pour the power on later in the run.

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    I'm aware of the FS stock class cars. But, just because it might take some work, doesn't mean that it can't be a successfull combo. I decided to buy a 10" wheel so that when I do put slicks on, I don't have to have another set. My car is coming out in the summer with 275/50 DR on a 10" wheel. I didn't even want to go with a 60 series because I wanted the gearing. Mine is also a stick with 4.56 gears, and it will hook just fine with some work.

SVTSINR - If you're just looking for a good street wheel for DR's, then go narrower, if you eventually want to run slicks, I would get at least a 9" as stated above.
    Thanks Guys for the input. Just to answer some questions.

I haven't weighed the car yet but I guess with the c4, turbo kit and cage it's close to 3600 lbs with me in it. There's a car that is similiar to mine that weighs 3500 with no driver. So it's a heavy pig.

I already run a 10" wheel with my MT 26x10's slicks. I have a set of 275/60 BFG DR on my GN that I need to rotate out so I thought I would pick up a set of wheels and burn them off this summer. The car has 3.55's and with the c-4 I thought the 275/60 would lower the cruising RPM.

I'll see if someone has some back to back comparisons.
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    use a 9" wheel. and keep your little boy in the back seat. that will make sure you keep your head on. dont play on the freeway like steve!
    I never considered a 9. That might work....

Highway testing with the wideband is the only way to go
    Last edited by SVTSINR; 01-23-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

Thread Information