Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 275/60/15 DR wheel width

Here's a little known size that I use and works great.
    M/T 255/60/15 on an 8" rim. It's nice because there are absolutely no fitment issues on a Fox and at 27.1" tall it's a little shorter than the big baloneys. They feel great on the street!

My notch has gone 10.83 @125 with a 1.53 60 ft. (blower/AOD car) on these tires. Drove it to Ubly, ran it, and drove back home.

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    I'm aware of the FS stock class cars. But, just because it might take some work, doesn't mean that it can't be a successfull combo. I decided to buy a 10" wheel so that when I do put slicks on, I don't have to have another set. My car is coming out in the summer with 275/50 DR on a 10" wheel. I didn't even want to go with a 60 series because I wanted the gearing. Mine is also a stick with 4.56 gears, and it will hook just fine with some work.

SVTSINR - If you're just looking for a good street wheel for DR's, then go narrower, if you eventually want to run slicks, I would get at least a 9" as stated above.
    Good luck in your DR adventure!
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:
    Competition Components (Scott Brown)
    Hutch's Transmission Service (Hutch)
    Monson Racing (Jim Monson)
    Work Turbochargers (Reed Patridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    use a 9" wheel. and keep your little boy in the back seat. that will make sure you keep your head on. dont play on the freeway like steve!
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    i know papa Webb told you to play on the freeway, but he meant like hopscotch, or hide and go seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    i know papa Webb told you to play on the freeway, but he meant like hopscotch, or hide and go seek.

Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

I'm sure it will be an adventure. I just wanted a challenge, I know what the car will do on slicks (ran NMRA Pure Street for years), now I want to pull the wheels on street tires!

BTW - Nice to see another N/A stick shift car on the board! How do you like the Tremec? I ran a Gforce, but have considered switching...

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    Good luck in your DR adventure!

I'm sure it will be an adventure. I just wanted a challenge, I know what the car will do on slicks (ran NMRA Pure Street for years), now I want to pull the wheels on street tires!

BTW - Nice to see another N/A stick shift car on the board! How do you like the Tremec? I ran a Gforce, but have considered switching...
    The tremec is smooth. I had it face-plated as well. The higher I spin it the better it gets and so far it has been a beast. I am changing to a slightly lighter clutch setup this year, so the launch RPMs will likely go up even more (7400 or so).

I am surprised that you would want to try a radial after running in a class such as PS. All, I can tell you is this...I had SEVERAL top DR guys (local and NMRA front runners) at a private track rental helping me with dialing it in and nothing worked very well. They basically told me that something major had to change. My launch RPMs on a slick are up there, but with the radials I couldn't even let it out above 3400 RPM without blowing the tires off and getting a ton of tire-shake. We tried air pressures from 10 to 22 lbs in 1 lb increments and nothing seemed to help that much. Then by the end of the day they felt in necessary to let me in on the fact that there is a reason why all of the cars that work well with a DR have automatics. The 5-speed just plain hits the tires too hard and when you have a light car, with a very stiff walled tire, the sidewall just cannot do its job. They said I could switch to an adjustable long style clutch to ease the hit on the launch, but there was no way to know for sure that it would solve the problem or even help at all. The best 60ft I could muster was a 1.80 spinning thru the first couple hundred feet pedaling the hell out of it. The car nets consistant 1.3X's and has been a best of 1.33 on a slick. Being an N/A car I need everything I can get out of it at launch, so easing it out sucks. If you figure it out hook a brother up!!

What is the first gear in the trans you have now?
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

I was running a 3.22 first with 4.56/4.88 gears and leaving anywhere from 7,100-7,600rpm. I sold the Gforce, but was maybe going to get a syncro'd version for the street (or a TKO). One thing I've learned is most of the heavy hitters running auto's can't get stick cars to hook - they've just never had to.

I drove a F-body (with an LS7 in it) on 17" DR at the track this year and was able to cut 1.5x 60ft times lifting the stock 17x9 front wheels (5,500-5,700rpm launch). This car was far from a drag car, so I'm hoping for nothing less out of mine with a less HP. I'll keep you posted once I get the thing back together!

I was running a 3.22 first with 4.56/4.88 gears and leaving anywhere from 7,100-7,600rpm. I sold the Gforce, but was maybe going to get a syncro'd version for the street (or a TKO). One thing I've learned is most of the heavy hitters running auto's can't get stick cars to hook - they've just never had to.

I drove a F-body (with an LS7 in it) on 17" DR at the track this year and was able to cut 1.5x 60ft times lifting the stock 17x9 front wheels (5,500-5,700rpm launch). This car was far from a drag car, so I'm hoping for nothing less out of mine with a less HP. I'll keep you posted once I get the thing back together!

Nice! So your PS setup was very similar to mine. However, your initial gearing was significantly greater than mine. I have a 2.87 first gear. The only issue with a tremec and the synchros is, they don't like to be shifted around 7K.
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the 7k plus shifting on a Tremec because I've heard that. The LS7 car I drove had a 6spd in it, but someone had gone through it so it actually shifted pretty nice at just over 7k. Shoot me your email and I'll send you some pics of my car...

Thread Information