Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mustang torque boxes

Reiter's Metalcraft did mine and they did a great job.
    Another proud member of Dang-o Racing!!

Club Sponsor

Personally I think battle boxes are fine but they were designed years ago when everyone ran southside lift bars, when we build cars we just weld the lowers up and plate the uppers and run bars to them I have bee doing it this way for over 10 years without a failure! lots of low 1.20 60' with well over 1000 hp!
    "You didn't Build it" LMFAO isn't that what Oboma said too?

Another vote for Reiter's they did mine last week along with subframes A+ job. Thanks Todd

If you have a welder or access to one, you can make your own "battle box" lowers. I made mine a few years ago ( before steel went through the roof). I had less than 10 bucks in them counting the grade 8 bolts.

So i got my mtltek kit today and went to put the lower boxes in place for mock up and noticed i cant slide the lower re-enforcement box up into place, theres just not enough room to do so. I read the directions and it states that in 94+ stangs that you must cut/notch the edges of the opening in order to get the boxes in place. Have any of you had to do this? Im not too thrilled to be cutting into a structural part of the car that is already weak...

i guess this is what i should do?

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme5/bl...ttle_boxes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kovacs32 View Post
    So i got my mtltek kit today and went to put the lower boxes in place for mock up and noticed i cant slide the lower re-enforcement box up into place, theres just not enough room to do so. I read the directions and it states that in 94+ stangs that you must cut/notch the edges of the opening in order to get the boxes in place. Have any of you had to do this? Im not too thrilled to be cutting into a structural part of the car that is already weak...
    Quote Originally Posted by kovacs32 View Post

That is why I said to just get the UMI kit. No cutting needed to get them in.

You don't have to worry about "cutting into a structural part of the car that is already weak" as the kit will no doubt strengthen up the torque boxes. It's just that you should not have to cut at all to get them in.

--Joe

So is it absolutely necessary to remove ALL of the sound deadening material that is under the upper plates? The is a hell of a lotta hard shit to get off, i wish thinking i could get away with just cleaning up a good inch around the border of the plate for welding?

thanks,
    ryan

Thread Information