Page 185 of 240 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2399

Thread: Random Snap Shot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I was just talking to my wife about picking up a nice camera (instead of paying for pics or using our cell phones)

That does pretty well for its age.

I just wanted to add that while still very new to film, and it's exciting for me, I spent $5 on the roll of film, and I believe $19 to develop, scan and print 36 (37-38) frames, so it isn't exactly cheap. The lab I sent them to uploads them for you to download before they ship everything back to you (negatives and CD with scans), and you have the option to order prints from those scans. I didn't realize this, so there's a bunch I wouldn't have had printed. So that would have saved a couple bucks, perhaps.

Another thought, I think I'm going to start printing digital shots now, too. I've had too many hard drives die, and I don't necessarily trust hosting sites these days... Like anything else in this world....if you don't hold it, you don't own it...

IMO, buy used digital from Keh.com or adorama. The barrier to entry is higher, but after that it costs nothing. Prints are easy. I wouldn't stop you from shooting film though, it certainly has something different. New cameras are very sterile. Everything is always so perfect.

Forum Member
    I think I have a Prius stuck in my intake.

I agree with Dane, pick up a used DSLR camera from the last 5-10 years and just start shooting with it. I wouldn't recommend getting a film camera off the bat, not knowing what you have until you have the film processed sucks and then you will see that you missed focus or, chopped off a foot, head, or were way off on your exposure. A DSLR will get you going and you'll learn how to shoot fairly quickly.

I also agree with Dane on the downfalls of the digital age with disk failures, lack of storage, etc. I don't worry about it any more, I have a nice array setup that affords me the ability to have a drive die and not lose any data. That said, I also have everything on my desktop and mirror my images to the array which gives more insurance against a failure. The only reason I use externally hosted storage, like Facebook or Flickr is for easy access when I am not home and to share them with others, like my build thread on here or posting a few shots from an event.

Though on the other hand, I do not agree with Dane on the sterile and perfect thought about digital. That still comes down to you knowing how to use the camera. Yes, there is something about an image that is shot on film and the grain that comes from a certain type of film or the natural contrast or vibrancy that a certain film has. That with today's editing software comes down to the editing that you do and, your style. In the end, that is a personal preference and feel that you get from different media.

Prints are prints. Nothing will beat holding the image in your hands, rather it's on canvas, paper or metal. A print also provides a much larger wow factor when you give it to someone. A photo book, takes that to the next level. For example, you take pictures of your kid or, a kid in your family, your friends kid. If you have enough good images to make even a small book, that becomes something that gets put on a coffee table and shared with many more people than just a print would.

On the other side of things, I think using phones as cameras is a terrible idea. Much like taking videos of a concert or fireworks with them. Are you really ever going to go back and look at those? I get why its done, its a quick and easy thing to do and sometimes, the best camera you have is the phone. Then you have to deal with the whole hosted storage thing again and the fact you need to either transfer them to a computer or your new phone. Even a cheap point and shoot is a far better choice of a camera than a phone. Regardless of how sensor technology progresses in phones. Oh, lets not forget that EVERYONE forgets to wipe their greasy finger smudges off the lens on their phone!

A little history on my camera life (as it pertains to DSLRs, I had a few point and shoots prior to the DSLRs). I started with a Nikon D50 that I bought used from a friend (at that point it was probably 5 years old), who bought it used from another friend. I used that thing for a few years then, progressed to a used Nikon D7000 (which was just replaced with the D7100 at the time so it was a few years old) that I got used from B&H then just this spring, bought my first new camera which is a Nikon D500.

I guess what it comes down to is, stop talking about getting a camera, go to the store, find something that is in your price range rather it be new or used, that is comfortable in your hands and buy it. I wouldn't just go out and buy one with out at least holding a few different ones in your hands. I shot a handful of Nikons and Canons before finding that the Nikons felt better in my hands.

Great info, thanks.

So I have done a bit of searching, is there a site for price guides on used cameras? Or, for instance, going by Nikon's camera model number, is there any trick to finding one that's better than the other? I figure the higher the model number the better the camera, or so the price seems to follow the part number anyway.

I also see many people sell just camera bodies, how do you know that the internals are correct for the camera your buying (used)

Start here:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Youtube reviews are very helpful, too.

buying used electronics is always a crap shoot, IMO. I buy all my digital crap from Keh.com. It's a little pricier, but they've been in the business for 30 years and I've never been disappointed. Their gear is generally in better shape than you expect.

I don't know a ton about Nikon, but they have a system (I think) that reminds me of BMW. The more numbers the lower tier. D7000 -> D700 -> D3. Canon has the entry level Rebel line, ex. 400d, 650d, etc. Then they have the next tier up - 60d, 70d, 80d, then the 'pro' tier. 7d, 6d, 5d and 1d.

If you're getting something newer, I've heard nothing but good things about Sony and Fuji. I was looking at the Fuji X100 series for a bit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    Great info, thanks.

So I have done a bit of searching, is there a site for price guides on used cameras? Or, for instance, going by Nikon's camera model number, is there any trick to finding one that's better than the other? I figure the higher the model number the better the camera, or so the price seems to follow the part number anyway.

I also see many people sell just camera bodies, how do you know that the internals are correct for the camera your buying (used)
    I haven't found a KBB of sorts, what I do when I go to sell a camera is look at Adorama, B&H and the eBay to get an idea where thins are in terms of pricing.

The modeling structure even to me seems a bit weird with Nikon. It goes from low to high in terms of price point and intended user but, its like this:
    Dx000 - consumer entry level to hobbiest
    Dx00 - prosumer, really serious consumer but not yet a professional or a professionals backup body
    Dx - Professional level

When it comes to choosing a model, look at what it can do/offers and look at where you'll be shooting the most. If you're going to shoot your kids football games which end up going into the night, you'll want to find a camera that has a better low light/high ISO performance (that wont be an entry level camera). If you are know you'll shoot in broad day light 99% of the time, you don't need to be concerned about low light performance then, that opens up the doors on your selection. I used YouTube a good bit, watching review videos of models that interest me, finding websites/blogs that offer un-edited .DNG files from the camera so that you can see for yourself what you would be getting, etc.

To your question of how do you know if the internals are good. You don't (you don't know if its going to work when its brand new, it is an electronic device), you either need to buy from a reputable place or try it out yourself. Any brick and mortar store should allow you to try the camera body out before you buy it, or camera kit for that matter. When you go online to places like B&H or Adorama, they test everything they sell and rank it in order of its condition as well.

Forum Member

Thread Information