Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C5 brakes on a Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    is the factory mount still usable after it has been shaved?
    Unfortunately not. The bottom nub is as large as the top one that is still there in the pic and gets shaved completely off. I sprayed some black paint on the spindle where I cut it.

I'm never taking these off the car, they're awesome.
    John
    AMERICAN IRON RACING SERIES

Sergio Marchionne - "The unfortunate problem with corporations, in general, is that there are thousands of people who pay
    the price for incredibly stupid, narrow and ill-founded choices that are made by one or two people who sit at the top"

Thanks for all the help John! I've got C5 rims on my car so there isn't an issue there. Overall, how much $$$ would you say is wrapped up in the complete conversion?
    -Tom
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    They've changed their tune, they've changed their pill. We've given...I've bent over. No ones even spit on it yet!

Club Sponsor

I don;t personally think the caliper is that much better IMHO. I think the pad choices are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaLS View Post
    I know the rotor isn't that much bigger but isn't the caliper much better? Also, I planned on doing C5 D/S rotors, not the standard ones.

PM me a price

"New Thread" & "Post Reply" button abuser Quick86's Avatar

The C5 calipers are pressure cast not gravity cast --- makes em stronger and longer lasting

The rotors are also directional from the factory, providing better cooling as well

I think it's a great mod. I'm thinking about doing it myself!

Club Sponsor

I am not disagreeing here but the performance of the brakes is not going to change substantially. They will work better however when hot vs cold but that would require aggressive lapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick86 View Post
    The C5 calipers are pressure cast not gravity cast --- makes em stronger and longer lasting

The rotors are also directional from the factory, providing better cooling as well

When you compare the price of C5 brakes VS big brake aftermarket kits... It's worth it The number of pad and rotor combinations available make it great, plus the fact that brake parts can be had over the counter at your local parts dealer instead of having to order them online, if you're in a pinch you can get it back going quick!
    Last edited by Quick86; 10-15-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Club Sponsor

I would go with some slotted factory rotors and a good set of F car pads.

When you compare the price of C5 brakes VS big brake aftermarket kits... It's worth it The number of pad and rotor combinations available make it great, plus the fact that brake parts can be had over the counter at your local parts dealer instead of having to order them online, if you're in a pinch you can get it back going quick!

The slight difference in casting process makes the C5 calipers slightly stronger but the C6 seems to be a little beefier than the C5 and they changed the "window" in the caliper for better cooling I would assume.

For street only, there's really no need to go bigger. You can get better brake performance with some good pads and good fluid. But if you want to autocross, do open track days or just dead set on a bigger brake kit I highly reccomend it.

For everything its probably going to run about $700 if you use the cheap rotors, and not including lines. FYI Nobody except the rich porsche guys run drilled/slotted stuff on the racetrack lol.
    John
    AMERICAN IRON RACING SERIES

Sergio Marchionne - "The unfortunate problem with corporations, in general, is that there are thousands of people who pay
    the price for incredibly stupid, narrow and ill-founded choices that are made by one or two people who sit at the top"

I priced it out, I can do it for $600

Yeah the drilled/slotted rotors are for bling. You'll find that out at your first track day. I made the mistake of buying them before I knew better.

Here's a parts list for you:
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=8196

PM trackbird for a deal on a set of track brackets...

Many, Many guys on the frrax.com upgrade to the C5 stuff. Got to be one of the best bang-for-buck mods there is. I have them on my 3rd gen and am happy.

Thread Information