Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: roll cage 8 or 10

I was just saying in the four year I ran Pure Street, that wasn't a major problem - and we hit the drive train pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwraddr View Post
    Huh...I have many times....go search the NMRA boards, there are all kind of failures like Quick Lx said....deflection of the ring gear due to the shock.
    JohnQ - I know you get what you pay for, that's why I used Ron. I only mentioned it in case he's on a tight budget.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    This is correct. A convertor is a fluid coupler and even though it seems like it leaves hard off a trans-brake, which it does, its not as sharp of an impact as a stick car has. The stick having a purely mechanical coupling, and in most race applications, no dampening, is significantly harder on drive line components. This is why MOST stick applications will have a pro gear in the axle and that is used for dampening the shock.

In nearly all applications, a 5 speed car will leave harder than an automatic, but the loss found in the 5 speed appilcation especially a diaphragm style clutch setup, is in the launch and at the shift points.

The easiest way this can be noticed is, a 5 speed setup (unless its a liberty style with a VERY expensive slipper clutch), will drag the motor down at launch and in between gears, this may not even be able to be heard, but its still happening. Where as, an automatic with the benefit of the fluid coupling will hit the launch or shift RPM and progressively increase in RPM rather than a drop and then increase.

The other problem that causes a stick to be more harsh on driveline components is, when an auto car is on the brake, everything in the driveline is "loaded" so to speak, where as a stick car is relaxed using all of the lash in the system. When the stick car launches, all of these little gaps are taken up and parts are literally slammed into each other.

hope this makes sense.
    It does and your right! +1 to ya...

i dont know a whole lot about the subject but clutches slip a little just like a converter does and if you lift a car on a hoist and put it in gear on the trans brake the tires do not move... on a stick car on a hoist the tires still spin with the clutch pedal pushed all the way in... if youve got enough power to pull the front tires your gonna need a strong rearend either way... sticks are much more violent going down the track but in my opinion the launch is very similar

well i think that the car will run a 12.00 to a 11.70 and i think that if u are going to put a cage in for the money just put the 10 point in that way u got more option's later down the road oo and also around 400 to 450 hp i built it lol sorry chriss couldnt stop myself....

Thread Information