Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad's Current Project

The real story is that it is one of these:

67 Plymouth Satellite. You can see the crest in the hood matches, but you can also see that the hood doesn't hang down as low in the front too. It's a Satellite hood that had the leading bit cut off of it and a new leading bit created to make it more like the Coronet/Charger hood.

The front fenders clearly don't match either the Coronet or Satellite fenders on the front portion. They are actually Coronet fenders that were cut so that instead of swooping forward they would continue the natural line of the hood.

The grill parts in the pictures are from a Charger and from the Satellite. Dad hasn't decided what route to go there really. I keep telling him to go with the Charger grill and have it chromed. He's talked about black for the car but he will drive the shit out of it and he isn't sure he wants the upkeep of a black car for that kind of duty. It would look bad ass as hell in black with that modified Charger grill chrome popping out of the front. We'll see what ends up in the front end though.

You can see the trunk lid originally had a concave portion in the middle where it now smoothly arches out. Quarter extensions modified similarly and filled where the taillights originally wrapped around to the side of the car. If you look at the picture of the trunk lid you can see evidence of some of the work that has been done in the shot from the side the shows the lip. The lip is more of a focal point so the other thing is something you don't really notice initially.
    Last edited by 4 cam tbird; 12-27-2008 at 03:53 AM.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Wishes he had a Honda Del Sol! DannyDodge's Avatar

your sposed to atleast allow a few days before giving it away, when i first clicked this thread and saw the pictures i was like "wtf this satellite dont look right? and a shaker hood?" but IMO hood looks like shit, doesnt flow with the car at all....
    Last edited by DannyDodge; 12-27-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Aerodynamics are overrated

This is a sweet project, please keep the pics coming. Those cars are beautiful from the factory but I like what he's doing to it.
    11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

I knew no one was exactly going to get it and that ended up on the second page anyway. I didn't really know how much time I would have to be on here over the course of the coming week and I tend to lose track of threads. I know it doesn't work right anyway but I don't believe in subscribing to threads.
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Wishes he had a Honda Del Sol! DannyDodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 cam tbird View Post
    I know it doesn't work right anyway but I don't believe in subscribing to threads.
    i never have lol

Aerodynamics are overrated

Sweet mopars you have there. My dad's got an old convertible mopar too. Although I had to restore it for him lol.

That's a nice winged charger he built. I recently picked up my first "wing" car. He does nice work! I'd love to see the car sometime. We mopar guys have to stick together around here lol. Here's a couple pics of ours (two of them at least)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there some significant special history behind that Superbird?
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Apparently, the car was given to Richard Petty in 1970 after Pete Hamilton won the Daytona 500. Pete was driving for Petty Enterprises at the time. We weren't sure what it mean when we first found this car, but a friend at Chrysler happened to have a picture of when Petty received the car and it's in the picture with him. A few people at Chrysler historical confirmed it too. I'm still doing more research but it's an interesting find to say the least.

The car is currently stipped down to nothing but was still in it's original paint when we found it. It had been sitting since 1976 in Ann Arbor just 3 miles from my house and has 49,000 original miles. It's a 440+6 4SP Dana car.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 cam tbird View Post
    The real story is that it is one of these:

67 Plymouth Satellite.
    BAAAAHH! I was close. I wanted to say Satellite when I first saw it but the hood threw me off.

Either way the car is VERY nice! I gotta get pictures of my dad's E-Body next time I'm out that way.
    -Ryan-

91 Slow'noma - 14 Cruze Diesel - 16 Ram 1500 Limited
    16 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - 18 GasGas TXT300GP

Quote Originally Posted by efisixpack View Post
    Apparently, the car was given to Richard Petty in 1970 after Pete Hamilton won the Daytona 500. Pete was driving for Petty Enterprises at the time. We weren't sure what it mean when we first found this car, but a friend at Chrysler happened to have a picture of when Petty received the car and it's in the picture with him. A few people at Chrysler historical confirmed it too. I'm still doing more research but it's an interesting find to say the least.

The car is currently stipped down to nothing but was still in it's original paint when we found it. It had been sitting since 1976 in Ann Arbor just 3 miles from my house and has 49,000 original miles. It's a 440+6 4SP Dana car.
    Wow! That's a helluva find! You would think to some collector that thing would have to be worth a decent amount when restored. Also be cool just to have and show and get to tell people the story when they ask what the deal is if you leave the Daytona winner lettering on it.
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Thread Information