Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Motor City Street Racers - Together at Last at the Automotive Hall of Fame...

they did it in either 79 or 80
    too many beers have passed and I cant remember the year

I got out of my ticket

they day I went to court i watched over 100 plead guilty and pay a $75 dollar fine

I was told to plead not guilty by another cop
    when I went back for my court date the cop that wrote me didnt show up
    and I got off

Nice find

In the 1960s and early ‘70s, there were three Detroit area street racers that couldn’t be beat – a legendary Hemi-powered 1967 Plymouth GTX, known far and wide as the Silver Bullet, a modified ’49 Cadillac known as Bad Cad Zeus that was burning up Gratiot Avenue, and a 1961 Ford Galaxie Starliner called Orange Crush that roamed the north suburbs.
    Zeus is alive and well, one of my favorite cars in this area! A friend of mine has been trying to buy it for 20 years and finally did so a year or so ago.
    Took first place in his class at the 2008 Autorama

http://forums.michiganclassics.com/s...ead.php?t=1699

MichiganClassics.com - Muscle & Classic car resource - Event listings - Classifieds

2000 GMC Sierra Z71 - 200K mile DD - Very green, runs on recycled dinosaurs
    1967 Camaro RS/SS L78 - Perpetual project
    Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
    My stuff on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Nice find

Zeus is alive and well, one of my favorite cars in this area! A friend of mine has been trying to buy it for 20 years and finally did so a year or so ago.
    Took first place in his class at the 2008 Autorama

http://forums.michiganclassics.com/s...ead.php?t=1699

why is that car parked in lincoln kindergarten parking lot on Gallop street in Mt. Clemens??? who owns that car? i wanna go see it... i live 2 streets down from that school!

Quote Originally Posted by 89vettefromhell View Post
    why is that car parked in lincoln kindergarten parking lot on Gallop street in Mt. Clemens??? who owns that car? i wanna go see it... i live 2 streets down from that school!
    Owned by John 'Top Hat' Jendza. I guess he took it there to take some pictures

I think the car will be at Autorama again this March, not sure though.
    MichiganClassics.com - Muscle & Classic car resource - Event listings - Classifieds

2000 GMC Sierra Z71 - 200K mile DD - Very green, runs on recycled dinosaurs
    1967 Camaro RS/SS L78 - Perpetual project
    Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
    My stuff on eBay

I worked for John for 12 years and had the pleasure of not only workin on the Starliner but driving it from time to time also The Mustang II was built by Gapp & Roush For Joe Rugriello the car now lives somewhere in New Jersy I had the chance to buy the car for 13k but the guy backed out on me it needed a full resto but the drive train was all still there plus it had twin turbos on a blow through set-up Neat Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 82coupe351 View Post
    My uncle told it was the "If you can beat me you can eat me " car and he told me she never lost that he new of..
    As I heard it back then, she was a smokin' hot blonde, and she wasn't undefeated . And she did pay off. It just wasn't often. I'm sure since then marriage probably ended her unique racing career. If I also remember correctly the Corvette was white. That was always the car you wish you could race while hoping she had a mechanical failure...

Car Craft did a feature on that '61 Starliner back in the '80's as part of their "Cruizin'" series. They were cruising Gratiot in the car with John. I always wanted to see that car in person just to drool on it. There are a few articles out there on the Silver Bullit. The Caddy is a new one on me. Another car from the late '70's and early '80's was a blown Volare with a 426 Hemi. A guy named John Orlakowski or similar used to handle his business in a '64 Plymouth Savoy with a Max-Wedge. Now I don't think any of these were undefeated. But it just added to the feel of Gratiot in the early '80's.
    Last edited by Swifster; 01-17-2009 at 05:31 PM.

i remember lisk's challenger from the car craft feature(s) on the fastest street car in '78? the challenger was the shit! speaking of the bullet, i had the pleasure of talking to tom hoover several years ago about the chrysler boys exploits. tom had a '66 coronet which was the precessor to the bullet. a friend of mine handled the resto on the '66, and tom schooled him on the specifics of the original car, while throwing in several stories of races that "never happened". the public outcry was huge, so a tight lid was kept on the street racing. he said they'd grind cams, etc. during the day, and street test 'em at night. it was way cool. anybody remember a primered '62? chevy II on the scene in 81? i saw it at milan run 8:90's with mich. tags on it. bbc, tunnel, lenco, bamf! the story was a guy named danny scott had a p/s monza he crashed somewhere. some black guys from detroit had this nova, and they put the drivetrain in the chev. to do some serious ass-kickin'. some detroit guys told us that they saw the nova carrying the tires through an intersection one night. i've got a pic somewhere. i'll dig it up, scan it, and post it up.

One of my best friends knows the owner of the silver bullet very well. I guess he is a big mopar guy and has a few nice rides.

how about the bunch of black guys who ran big block vettes? I remember hearing a bunch of story's of them from the early 70's.

How about the 696 top enders?
    motown muscle southern chapter "we find rust free material for the michigan masses"

08 Mustang GT broke but beautiful

99 saturn SL1 with the air box removed for POWER!!!!
    Ford Chrysler or GM it doesent matter to me as long as its domestic.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASRoff View Post
    how about the bunch of black guys who ran big block vettes? I remember hearing a bunch of story's of them from the early 70's.

How about the 696 top enders?
    The top enders also ran on 75 from what I recall. I can't remember the details but I've heard a few stories about them.

The other would be Jack Roushes Silver mustang II, suprised he still dose not have that car???
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_04.html
    Wouldn't Jack's car be later than the 3 from the OP? There was also a Maverick with a 427 Ford that was pretty bad ass. I've seen him cruising around when I was a pup.

Thread Information