Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FYI: E-Coating in Romulus - HELL YEA

Not going to get into a dick measuring contest regarding educational background......But since someone brought it up......I win, trust me

Now as for the unit of measurement "mil". IT IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE RELATED TO MILLIMETERS! People that use the term "mil" in reference to "millimeters" are just lazy. It's no different than punk kids saying "late" instead of "later".

1 mil is equal to .001", end of story. But since there is obviously some confusion, I will explain further.

The unit "mil", is used to measure thickness, specifcally coatings (paints, etc.) and films. Hell its even used for garbage bag thicknesses. You mean to tell me that if you looked at a box of garbage bags and read "1.4 mils", you would think that those bags were 1.4 millimeters thick? Man, I hope not. LOL
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:
    Competition Components (Scott Brown)
    Hutch's Transmission Service (Hutch)
    Monson Racing (Jim Monson)
    Work Turbochargers (Reed Patridge)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLX View Post
    Not going to get into a dick measuring contest regarding educational background......But since someone brought it up......I win, trust me

Now as for the unit of measurement "mil". IT IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE RELATED TO MILLIMETERS! People that use the term "mil" in reference to "millimeters" are just lazy. It's no different than punk kids saying "late" instead of "later".

1 mil is equal to .001", end of story. But since there is obviously some confusion, I will explain further.

The unit "mil", is used to measure thickness, specifcally coatings (paints, etc.) and films. Hell its even used for garbage bag thicknesses. You mean to tell me that if you looked at a box of garbage bags and read "1.4 mils", you would think that those bags were 1.4 millimeters thick? Man, I hope not. LOL
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Forum Member

Ask a machinist to cut a mil off a part and see how much is gone when you get it back. I am going to guarantee you it won't be 0.001". Or ask a machine builder to take a mil of shim out, the adjustment won't be 0.001" either. Think what you want and keep reading and referencing your books but in the tool and die / manufacturing industry that actually build something 1 mil = 1 millimeter.

That is all.
    Last edited by blackbolt9; 04-02-2009 at 07:27 AM.

This is correct.

<-- Paint equipment manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt9 View Post
    Ask a machinist to cut a mil off a part and see how much is gone when you get it back. I am going to guarantee you it won't be 0.001". Or ask a machine builder to take a mil of shim out, the adjustment won't be 0.001" either. Think what you want and keep reading and referencing your books but in the tool and die / manufacturing industry that actually build something 1 mil = 1 millimeter.

That is all.
    Ok, you need to understand that your life experiences as grand and unique as they may seem to you, really aren't that rare or significant when looking at the big picture. So, please also understand that the things you say can be used against you in the support of another's defense as they may too have similar experiences.

So, with that being said..... I deal directly with those in tool and die on a daily basis (My familiy has been in the field for nealry 70 years). For one, if you bring something to them in Millimeters, they are likely to cut your nuts off. Secondly, for the most part I don't believe it would be good practice to go to a machinist and verbally ask for an amount in any unit to be removed from a detail or part. This is just asking for problems and this is why prints are used. Also, you will never see on ANY print, the unit "mil" used for a dimensional call-out. Again, it is for thicknesses of paints, films, etc., that is it.

The problem here is, you are taking field (more likely to be shop or person to person) specific slang and trying to give it a factual basis that supports your arguement in an effort to save face. Not working BTW.

The more you argue about this, it just keeps solidifying the fact that you had and have no clue about the term "mil", it's relavent usage, or the topic which you felt compelled to comment on.

Just stating facts here, so let it go and stop cluttering a decent thread with misleading information.

BTW 1mm = 1 Millimeter, 1 mil = .001 inch, 1 mil = 25.4 = Micrometers, etc., but 1 mil will never = 1mm or 1 Millimeter.
    Steve

QuickLX.com

Special Thanks to:
    Competition Components (Scott Brown)
    Hutch's Transmission Service (Hutch)
    Monson Racing (Jim Monson)
    Work Turbochargers (Reed Patridge)

In the back of a jacked up tailgate. Sittin' 'round watchin' all these pretty things.

damn. My brain just grew!!!
    "BUILT not BOUGHT"

95 F250 4x4 12"s of lift on 38s
    Cummins swap someday

To attempt the destruction of our passions is the height of folly. What a noble aim is that of the zealot who tortures himself like a madman in order to desire nothing, love nothing, feel nothing, and who, if he succeeded, would end up a complete monster!

Denis Diderot

Ok, you need to understand that your life experiences as grand and unique as they may seem to you, really aren't that rare or significant when looking at the big picture. So, please also understand that the things you say can be used against you in the support of another's defense as they may too have similar experiences.

So, with that being said..... I deal directly with those in tool and die on a daily basis (My familiy has been in the field for nealry 70 years). For one, if you bring something to them in Millimeters, they are likely to cut your nuts off. Secondly, for the most part I don't believe it would be good practice to go to a machinist and verbally ask for an amount in any unit to be removed from a detail or part. This is just asking for problems and this is why prints are used. Also, you will never see on ANY print, the unit "mil" used for a dimensional call-out. Again, it is for thicknesses of paints, films, etc., that is it.

The problem here is, you are taking field (more likely to be shop or person to person) specific slang and trying to give it a factual basis that supports your arguement in an effort to save face. Not working BTW.

The more you argue about this, it just keeps solidifying the fact that you had and have no clue about the term "mil", it's relavent usage, or the topic which you felt compelled to comment on.

Just stating facts here, so let it go and stop cluttering a decent thread with misleading information.

BTW 1mm = 1 Millimeter, 1 mil = .001 inch, 1 mil = 25.4 = Micrometers, etc., but 1 mil will never = 1mm or 1 Millimeter.

Laughing....This is why I pastd all the links above. Somebody that doesn't know any better thinks this guy is right and makes himself look like a clown when he says it later.......damn misinformation!

Thanks Steve and really well written.

Carry on Gents.
    Keith

Forum Member

Apparently we won't come to an agreement on this because I have never heard 1 mil used to describe 0.001" in the tool and die or machine building industries. Argue all you want about what is appropriate but I live in the real world.

Thread Information