Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage Floor Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by nuttsgt View Post
    How do they coating stand up to welding berries? Or dropping from a cutting torch?
    From what I read, they all will be damaged if the berry is big and hot enough. I have not welded too much (will lay down some MIG welds tonight or tomorrow). The sparks from my abrasive chop saw did nothing to the UCoatIt. I did ask UCI that same Q, and they said that it can happen.

I wanted a relatively tough (tougher than paint) coating that can take abuse, but what I REALLY wanted was something that makes getting oil/grease up easily, and it seems to do that. I learned not to let coolant (Sierra to be specific) sit, as it leaves a light-blue haze stain on the coating.

Compared to my results and Detroit Gearbox's results, it seems that the finish holds up better if you do the optional urethane topcoat, which I was not able to do (my shop is attached to my house and shares some of the same heating, I couldn't risk the fumes getting into the house while it dried). If I was going to use UCI again, I'd make sure I could urethane coat it. Keep in mind, it's another added cost over the basic kit. My cost to do 500 square feet was ~ $0.50/sq foot, not counting prep and etching..
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Thanks for the answer.

Thread Information